Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2003, 02:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to smokiums
Live Sand turning BROWN?

I noticed this morning that my LS was turn brown in some areas. Any ideas?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

Old 11-23-2003, 02:59 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
could be localized diatoms or algae growth. How is the circulation in the areas that your seeing this brown coloration?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 03:06 PM   #3

ALGAE!!
Old 11-23-2003, 03:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

The circulation should be fine. I have three Maxijets 900, as well as the two returns from the pump. Are those two things you mentioned bad?
Old 11-23-2003, 03:12 PM   #5

HOW LONG HAS UR TANK BEEN CYCLING? OR IS UR TANK ALREADY CYCLED?
Old 11-23-2003, 03:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

The tank has only been running for about 10 days. Zero ammonia and nitrite.

I don't know. Should I worry?
Old 11-23-2003, 04:11 PM   #7

NO BUT YOU SHOULD BE FEEDING THE CYCLE. ADD SOME AMMONIUM CHLORIDE SOLUTION SLOWLY TILL YOU READ ABOUT 3.0PPM OF AMMONIA THEN IN ABOUT 20-30 DAYS YOU SHOULD BE READING NITRATE . HOORAY YOUR TANK IS NOW CYCLED BUT KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON YOUR PH DURING THIS PROSSES IT WILL FALL. USE KALKWASSER OR ONE TEASPOON OF HOUSEHOLD BAKING SODA TO 1 PINT OF RO WATER FOR EVERY 10 GALLONS OF TANK CAP.GOOD LUCK!!

P.S. PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE
Old 11-23-2003, 04:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
i had that same brown algae that grew ONLY on the live sand. i let the tank cycle then threw in about 12 hermit crabs and they ate that crap up like they were coming in from a thirdworld country. also it does eventually disappear as your tank matures. i have had my tank running for about 4 or 5 months and i dont get that stuff anymore.
steve

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 04:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
i had that same brown algae that grew ONLY on the live sand. i let the tank cycle then threw in about 12 hermit crabs and they ate that crap up like they were coming in from a thirdworld country. also it does eventually disappear as your tank matures. i have had my tank running for about 4 or 5 months and i dont get that stuff anymore.
steve

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 06:33 PM   #10
steve-s

Do not add things to the tank unneccessarily, if anything do a water change. It will correct any chemical imbalances in the water any chem additions in a new tank are not needed for any reason. Since the tank is new and has already cycled for the most part, adding ammonia will just start the process again and is also not neccessary. As fishfreek said, it is most likely a diatom bloom and given this is a new tank, should not concern you. Leave things well enough alone...

Cheers
Steve

Tags
live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com