Live Sand turning BROWN?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
could be localized diatoms or algae growth. How is the circulation in the areas that your seeing this brown coloration?

The circulation should be fine. I have three Maxijets 900, as well as the two returns from the pump. Are those two things you mentioned bad?

HOW LONG HAS UR TANK BEEN CYCLING? OR IS UR TANK ALREADY CYCLED?

NO BUT YOU SHOULD BE FEEDING THE CYCLE. ADD SOME AMMONIUM CHLORIDE SOLUTION SLOWLY TILL YOU READ ABOUT 3.0PPM OF AMMONIA THEN IN ABOUT 20-30 DAYS YOU SHOULD BE READING NITRATE . HOORAY YOUR TANK IS NOW CYCLED BUT KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON YOUR PH DURING THIS PROSSES IT WILL FALL. USE KALKWASSER OR ONE TEASPOON OF HOUSEHOLD BAKING SODA TO 1 PINT OF RO WATER FOR EVERY 10 GALLONS OF TANK CAP.GOOD LUCK!!

P.S. PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

i had that same brown algae that grew ONLY on the live sand. i let the tank cycle then threw in about 12 hermit crabs and they ate that crap up like they were coming in from a thirdworld country. also it does eventually disappear as your tank matures. i have had my tank running for about 4 or 5 months and i dont get that stuff anymore.
steve

i had that same brown algae that grew ONLY on the live sand. i let the tank cycle then threw in about 12 hermit crabs and they ate that crap up like they were coming in from a thirdworld country. also it does eventually disappear as your tank matures. i have had my tank running for about 4 or 5 months and i dont get that stuff anymore.
steve

Do not add things to the tank unneccessarily, if anything do a water change. It will correct any chemical imbalances in the water any chem additions in a new tank are not needed for any reason. Since the tank is new and has already cycled for the most part, adding ammonia will just start the process again and is also not neccessary. As fishfreek said, it is most likely a diatom bloom and given this is a new tank, should not concern you. Leave things well enough alone...

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for info. My ammonia did spike about 6 days ago and then went back down. I cycled my tank using 2 raw shrimps. I didn't add the lr until the ammonia was all gone and my nitrite test showed 0 also. Other than that, my tank has been fine.

I'll get another could of days, do a water change and then add some hermit crabs.

Thanks, again.

I would definitely watch the phosphate levels. You probably already know this but, the phosphate test was the last test I learned. Keeping phosphates low will help with the algae spreading.

Back
Top Bottom