Live sand Vs Regular sand For FO Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcontes77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I have a 45 G tank and I have Live sand in it 1.5 inch thick.
My friend gave me some nice regular sand, and I was wondering if it was a good idea to add up this sand on the top of my live sand.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Damien

sure its not a bad idea if the tanks established i would add it slowly over a week or so that way you don't shock the system, over time the other sand will be full of live things as well.

So The tank need to be cycle?
My "dead" is going to be alive?
any bacteria would be able to live in it?

My tank is not cycle yet should I wait?

Thanks

D

I would let the tank finish cycling and then add the new sand. I'm guessing you intend to do a DSB? If so, after it matures, it will help you control nitrates in the tank. It'll also make the step up to a reef tank much easier if you decide to do that later. And yes, the "dead" sand will become live sand over time. If you have friends who have reef tanks, try to talk them out of a small cup of their sand after your tank cycles. That will increase the diversity of critters you'll have in your sand.

How do you know if your sand is alive or dead??
Also, I am afraid that maybe I killed all the Bacteria when I add up my Live sand (my tank was not cycle and I pour the whole Live sand at once)

Thank you Loganj.

Let me know if you think that my live sand is still alive

Damien

Is your live sand from those 10 or 20 pound bags they sell at the fish store?
That sand may contain some beneficial bacteria but doesn't contain the critters that are generally found in live sand from an established aquarium.

It sounds like you are just setting up the tank. If so, how are you planning on getting the nitrogen cycle started? without a source of ammonia the bacteria will not anything to eat. You may want to read the article on fishless cycling in the articles section.

Cmor

Back
Top Bottom