Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2003, 09:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

LiveRock...Lalo or Fiji?

Yes, so my liverock shipment did not arrive at my LFS...his distributor screwed him over by not informing him they had run out. So, I'm buying online. I'm considering marinedepotlive (as they are having a sale) and liveaquaria. On LA they offer Lalo which has more color to it than the Fiji I've seen (more color variety anyways). So I was wondering...Lalo or Fiji, does it really matter? I'm leaning towards the Lalo (from Tonga) because of its colors. But Fiji looks neat also, so if it is better, I will get it. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2003, 10:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes Fiji is more colorful, however, it is much heavier than lalo.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I were you, and I were to buy rock online, I would buy base rock.....probably Fiji. Personally, I like to hand pick my rocks. My LFS gets in Fiji and Kaelini, but a while back they got in some Tonga. Online, I've bought Marshall Island LR. Only 25 lbs, though, the other 200 lbs. came from my LFS. I use a mixture of Fiji, Tonga, and Marshall Islands. They all perform the same service to you, so its up to you.

Just remember, Fiji is more dense than most other types, so you need more of it to fill the same space.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the input, guys....but uhm, nevermind. I discovered that as it is now Friday to the business world (thursday night) my rock would not arrive here until Thursday...that's when my buddy at the LFS can get me my discounted LR. =] Sooo, we're just going to wait on that. Thanks again though, for the input.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to wanderer90
I have to say i just received my live rock from marinedepot.com, received it in two days. There were 8 full pieces and the rest was rubble, ordered there special on the caribbean rock. They packed it well and it was pre-cured, there was a lot of algie and little clams on it seemed full of life. As a newbie and first time buying live rock I thought i would get better pieces but i'm for the most part happy with it...
Old 09-12-2003, 01:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
There were 8 full pieces and the rest was rubble
That's why I like to hand select my LR. If i'm paying $4-8/lb for ROCK then I better darn well like the piece that I'm getting.

Quote:
They packed it well and it was pre-cured, there was a lot of algie and little clams on it seemed full of life
Um, I could be wrong, but if your rock wasn't submerged when you got it, aka it was shipped in wet paper, then I'm afraid that you will still experience die off from the rock, especially if you have visible creatures on the surface that require water to live (clams, algae). If I were you, I would watch my ammonia and nitrite levels for a few days, and/or cure the rock again before adding it in. JMHO, though.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Go with the Tonga!! Its lighter, so you get more for your money and its branchy and porous, so it looks cool and gives your fish more hiding spots and such. JMO but i have some Tonga and some Fiji and it seems like the Tonga just has more colors than the Fiji. Fiji is mostly purple and some reds but Tonga has more greens and pinks...at least that what Ive noticed!
Old 09-12-2003, 06:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to wanderer90
Quote:
If I were you, I would watch my ammonia and nitrite levels for a few days, and/or cure the rock again before adding it in.
i am just cycling my tank now so it should be ok.. the only other things in the tank right now are hermits and they are doing great eating all the dead stuff off the rock
Old 09-15-2003, 08:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to roblikesfish Send a message via AIM to roblikesfish Send a message via MSN to roblikesfish
Honestly I will probably dable in few differnt kinds of live rock to get more variety, shape, and differnet kinds of live organisms.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

well ya live in detroit might be worth ya drive to go to harbor aqautics in valpraso in from what ive seen and read they have great rock for like $4 lb just a thought

Tags
live, liverock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com