Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2004, 05:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Why would I put LR in freshwater...Let me redo my question...
Im getting LR today from LR.com. I dont want to put it directly into my show tank but rather into a rubbermaid. I have a heater, water pumps for circulation, and the container.
Do I use the 15 gallons of RO SW I bought at lunch to put the LR into to sit for a few days? I want to "cure" it or make sure I dont get any die off. If I use freshwater it will kill all of the critters?? I dont understand...

Old 04-07-2004, 05:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, I meant use fresh salt water. I should have stated that. sorry.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
whew!! I thought I was in a bad dream and about to have to start over!!I may use a small bit -5 gallons or less- from my tank as I know the levels are all good as I took them today. Cant hurt for sure...
Thanks
Old 04-07-2004, 06:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Cant hurt for sure
Nope won't hurt a bit.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:42 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Glad you asked about the freshwater vs freshly made saltwater. WOuld hate to have you kill off your rock by soaking it in freshwater for a few days.

If you have a small heater heat the QT water aswell and provide water movment via a powerhead or two. You may decide if you want to light the tank during this time or not.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:43 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Freshwater meaning Fresh made saltwater. Put the rock in the tupperwear container and let it sit for a week. Then you'll be set ! I am placing my rock right into my tank because it is not established. No fish or water yet. I got 45 gallons of water mixed and ready to get pumped in...
Old 04-08-2004, 02:25 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In the tank...

There is definitely difference of opinion here. You'll have to decide.

I say put it directly into your tank. Deal with the hitchhikers later, but get that rock into the healthiest situation as possible as soon as possible.

If a hitchhiker is a serious problem, you can always remove the rock later and deal with. Right now, that rock has been out of water for long enough and it needs immediate maximum life-support...FAST.

The problem I have with qt is that they are usually set up at the last minute and don't have established bio filtration. Starting the qt with some tank water isn't enough. Freshly mixed salt water is no better. A fresh qt is basically a fresh tank...unable to support life until it cycles.

If you had created the qt over a month ago, cycled it completely so it was ready to accept the rock that's different...but it doesn't sound like you did that.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:20 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You dont need established filtration when dealing with QTing live rock. After all the rock itself is the filter. Placing rock that is suffering from some level of die off in a tank with fish and corals is like playing with fire. You might not get burned but then again you just might.

All Im suggesting on doing is taking a bucket, tub, or trashcan put some new saltwater in it along with a heater and powerheads and then inspect the rock as you unpack it. Remove obvously dead items and then place them in the container. Check back after 24 hours for ammonia or nitrite. If either exists then thats ammonia and nitrite that didnt end up in your display tank. Check after 48 hours. If ammonia levels are higher then inspect the rock for further dieoff. if your lucky the ammonia and nitrite will be gone and you can then transfer the rock to the display tank with little risk of ammonia being introduced to an established setup.

I speak from experence. I lost fish due to adding rock that was still going thru the curing process into my tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:32 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
and one more thing SW tank take time. if you take the time and do stuff slowly your tank will be etter off in the end.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:34 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Plus, mantis are not that easily removed ...

I have yet to see the one I have

Tags
live, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com