Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2004, 03:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Liverocks.com instructions...

I just go my shipment of liverock from liverocks.com. The instructions from liverocks.com says not to cure the liverock. Well, it says not to cure it like normally imported liverock. The instructions imply that the rock is safe to put right in the tank. I don't want to damage the rock by curing it.

Has anyone had any experience with this rock?

Thanks,

Van

Old 04-07-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

When I got my order, I placed it right in the tank just like they said. Unless it smelled really foul, you should be ok.

The downside to this is hitchhikers. There might be some crabs, snails, mantis, etc that you might not really want in the display tank.

HTH.

Old 04-07-2004, 03:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
well on my rock i put it in the QT tank and let it sit there till the level when back to normal. it took about 1 week to do that. but you do not want ot just put it right in to a tank that already has stuff in it like fish and corals and such. there is going to be die off and that will make the ammonia to rise and kill any fish in the tank.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I put my liverocks rock right in with the rest of it and had no noticeable spikes, it smelled good right out of the box.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would say: well established tank with adequate bio-filtration, you can place right into the display but you do risk introducing unwanted hitch hikers such as mantis shrimps like ellisz said. You should take some existing tank water (ie: two 5 gallon pails, 3/4 full) and use this as a dunk or dip rinse prior to placing into your display. Your NH3 and possibly your NO2 levels might slightly rise for 1-3 days than fall back.

On the other note: if your display is relatively new (cycled within the last 6 months) or have minimal bio-filtration, then you should place the LR into a container with aged water from your display with a power head and heater till the NH3 & NO2 levels drop.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:48 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You CANT hurt the live rock by putting it in QT until you verify its not giving off any ammonia or nitrite.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You CANT hurt the live rock by putting it in QT until you verify its not giving off any ammonia or nitrite.

This is so true. Please be kind to your fish and QT that rock . You may not have much die off but you WILL have some (unless you picked up the rock from their shop put it in tubs os salt water and drove it home)

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Does the water in the qrt holding area have to be aged or can I get new RO water at the right salinity and PH and temp and put it in there instead?? I dont want to drag out my tank water as I just did a water change the other day...
Please reply asap as I have LR waiting for me at my house from LR.COM
Old 04-07-2004, 05:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

use fresh water, and keep it changed.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Why would I put LR in freshwater...Let me redo my question...
Im getting LR today from LR.com. I dont want to put it directly into my show tank but rather into a rubbermaid. I have a heater, water pumps for circulation, and the container.
Do I use the 15 gallons of RO SW I bought at lunch to put the LR into to sit for a few days? I want to "cure" it or make sure I dont get any die off. If I use freshwater it will kill all of the critters?? I dont understand...

Tags
live, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com