Liverocks.com rock has arrived.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshuha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I received my LR.com rock today and it looks pretty darn good. I ordered 40 lbs of the keys rock and threw it right in the tank. I am eager to post pics and get some opinions on the aquascaping as I am new to all this. I realize it looks like a "wall" of rock but in a 55 there isnt much room front to back.

These pics were shot with my digital camcoder but I still think they turned out decent:

Full Shot
55_Full.JPG

Left Shot
55_Left.jpg

Center Shot
55_Center.jpg

Right Shot
55_Right.jpg

Looks great to me too.. the most important thing about any aquascape is stability, so just make sure nothing is going to fall as the rocks settle into the sand over time.

If you want to try and get more of a reef look, you should put the largest rocks towards the bottom and work up.

Be careful on the stability. Just wonderin' if they are stable right now. I put 2 hands in the water. One hand to give a moderate but good nudge to the rock and the other hand to catch it if it does fall. I get to feel real good when things don't move easily. May have to play a bit to get a good set-up. Also make sure they are firmly seated on the bottom for when you get that pistol shrimp and watchman goby (OK, if you get one). Sicklidkid suggests using the larger ones on the bottom. If you lay a couple of'm with the lond side down, that'd create nice little burrow paths under the sand for the shrimp too. Heck, even if no pistol shrimp, I too think you'll have better stability with the larger ones lower.

Also consider where the powerheads might be and think about dead spots if you can. Then again, you might not be able to see those until you start feeding. Bottom line, you'll probably move all the rocks 3 or 4 times anyway :D .

Have fun!

I spent hours last night arranging and rearranging my new live rock. I am happy with the configuration I ended up with. All kinds of cool little caves, ledges and overhangs. Took me that long basically to make sure it was all stable and to get a lot of little caves. Just like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. Now the hard part. Having the patience to wait while it cycles completely....grrrr

Looks good, Joshua. I dig the design. From what I hear, shipments from LR.com usually come with a few hitchhikers like crabs or even urchins and starfish. Did you get any cool surprises with your order?

Well I rearranged the rock again and will be posting some pics later tonight. As far as hitchikers go I have a few teeny tiny baby snails starting to crawl on the glass. Also have seen various worms poking in and out of the rock (and now even in the sand). I think I may have a small brittle star hiding out somewhere. I also did throw a crab or two in there from the bag that were still moving around but I haven't seen them out and about in the tank yet. I never really ID'd them but figure I have plenty of time before I add my first few fish in.

Aquascaping has never been my specialty either. I have a kind of pyramid going on, but it is hard to do in a 90G because of the depth. The rock looks great though! Lots of critters.

Mike

did you get the 30 lbs of "our best" from hirocks.com, or just 30 lbs of the golfball to baseball sized stuff. Im interested in getting some for my aquarium and would like some bigger peicies.

Back
Top Bottom