Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Livestock advice

I posted this question before, but I think it got lost in another thread.....

Anyway, I'm back, and nearly fully recovered from surgery, so I've been working on the 125g tank which I bought, second-hand, approximately six weeks ago. I've added more LR to it, and that LR now totals ~140lbs. Is that enough? I also added ~30lbs of CC; I tried to switch it all over to LS, but that was done during my recovery period, and (for all sorts of comical and tragic reasons) it just didn't happen. I've resigned myself to frequent vacuuming of the substrate, but don't mind that at all. The new LR was added yesterday, and I took readings today: pH 8.3/sg 1.022/temp 79/NH3 0/NO2 0/NO3 20

I plan to let it run for awhile before I add any livestock and check readings again in a week or so. I'm going on vacation on Monday, so the wait will be painless!

I think I have a list of the fish I want for the aquarium, but would welcome any comments or suggestions on the list. Also, how long should the time period be between adding fish? (I have a QT set up as well) And, in what order should these fish be put into the tank? Please note: I am a patient person, and would not fuss even if it should take a year to add these fish! Here's my list:

5 green chromis (always loved the look of a school of fish)
1 coral beauty
1 yellow tang
2 fridman's dottybacks
1 lawnmower blenny (only fish in the tank now)

Thanks, everyone!

Old 04-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I'm glad you remembered us and that your surgery went well.
Personally, I added thre of the chromis (they say they like odd number) and two of them jumped within the first 3 months. I only have one noe and he is fine. I have been looking at Kaudern's Cardinal for a schooling fish. I don't have experience with them, so you may want to wait for others to chime in.
The coral beauty may pick on corals, if you are thinking of keeping them.
I just bought a Lamarck's Angelfish the pic on LA doesn't do it justice, but they are pretty neat.
The Blenny will probably starve, since they tend to eat hair algea and once their food source is gone, they starve. The dottys should be ok, they will chase smaller fish.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Your list should be OK. As Scott said the CB will maybe nip at corals so if you plan on getting corals you might want to reconsider. Hopefully you can get your lawnmower to eat prepared foods. I pretty much like your list.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I wasn't planning to get corals.......but then again, I also wasn't planning to get a 125g either! It seems this hobby leads you deeper and deeper (haha) into areas you--at first--don't expect. What a hook!

With that said, I will definitely take the Lamarck's Angelfish and the K. Cardinal into consideration, but I was really drawn to the CB's coloring. Is there another fish with that coloring (or similar) that will fit in with this community?

Thanks! .....what a great board!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

There are other options:
Yellow Pyramid Butterfly
Auriga Butterflyfish
These are just a few that I could pull together, but none of them have the coloration of the CB.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 04-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

That nitrate is going to remain a constant battle, and 20ppm is the maximum level recommended - especially in a reef tank I believe.

Too bad you can't switch the CC out before you get too many fish stocked up. I think you'll wish you had down the road.

I'd recommend adding fish every 3-4 weeks after they've been quarantined for that period.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I removed the CC out of my tank and even had sand in it. I did it in sections, over a 4 week period. I used a plastic strainer. Most of your CC should be on the top of the sand, so shouldn't be too hard to get out.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
live, livestock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com