Livestock for 75 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has just finished cycling (75 gal). I'd like ideas on what livestock to add.

My current occupants are:
1 - O. Clown (plan on having 2 but the lame lfs's around here.....)
2 - Turbo snails
7 - Blue Leg hermits
5 - Red Leg hermits
Many of the usual hitchikers from lr.com

Now for what I would *like* to get. Let me know if you see any problems:
1 - O. Clown (for a total of 2)
1 - Yellow Watchman
1 - Lawnmower Blenny
1 - Yellow Tang
1 - Blue Hippo Tang

4-5 peppermint shrimp
1 - cleaner shrimp
1 - coral banded shrimp
10 - cerith snails
10 - nassaarius snails

Or, if something will not work what other suggestions do you have?

TIA

*edited for format and moved from FW forum.... Mattrox

The only real issue I see with this list is the two tangs. For your tank size I would anly add one, preferabley the yellow. The Regal is a beautiful addition but they are extremely active, skiddish and territorial. Not the best addition your first time out or for this tank size.

The rest of the list is fine with a few cautions....

Be sure the new clown added is much smaller than the one you have now. Something at least ½ the size or about 1". This way the incumbant will not see the new clown as a threat and help ensure better success with a pair bond forming.

Not to fond of watchman species myself but be sure the fish you get is accepting prepared foods before you purchase it. They can quickly starve otherwise if they rely soley on nutrients through sifting the sand. Also note the lawnmower will not typically accept prepared foods so be sure there is a sufficient supply of film algae for it to graze on.

You might also want to add a different variety of grazing snail. The cerith and nassarius do well but are not very quick on algae grazing. Margarita, nerite, trochus or turbo would do a much better job. The two you have mentioned spend most of their time in/on the sanbed areas and not so much on glass or rock.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the tips. I'll take your advice and only add the yellow tang. Is there another larger (3" - 4") fish I could add instead?

Regarding the watchman, I wanted one so I could watch their relationship with pistol shrimp. Is there a better choice fish that also has this relationship? My pistols are hitchikers, I just saw one for the first time a couple days ago. He's made a home under a rock on the sandbed. He came out to grab a piece of turbo snail poop. Would they eat pellets if I dropped them in?

Thanks again,

Steve

havefun said:
Thanks for the tips. I'll take your advice and only add the yellow tang. Is there another larger (3" - 4") fish I could add instead?
What is your end goal for the tank, FO, FOWLR or reef? It will make a difference in the species that can be kept.

Regarding the watchman, I wanted one so I could watch their relationship with pistol shrimp. Is there a better choice fish that also has this relationship?
Watchman gobies are typically a good choice but high fins are usually the best when it comes to pairing. Most of these species will sift sand for nutrients but can often accept prepared foods. It's a gamble no matter the species when it comes to longevity though.
http://wetwebmedia.com/shrimpgobies.htm

My pistols are hitchikers, I just saw one for the first time a couple days ago. He's made a home under a rock on the sandbed. He came out to grab a piece of turbo snail poop. Would they eat pellets if I dropped them in?
Anything that wanders into the shrimps burrow is fair game, living or not. They are basically blind so they don't really hunt, rather they wait for what comes to them. Snails, other shrimp, crabs, even soft corals are acceptable meals. Pellets would be fine but be sure they are properly nutritious spectrum pellets. Not just shrimp pellets or similar.

Cheers
Steve

What is your end goal for the tank, FO, FOWLR or reef?

FOWLR (*maybe* reef but that would be a long way off).

Pellets would be fine but be sure they are properly nutritious spectrum pellets

Any brands you recommend?

They are basically blind

And here I was trying to be as still as possible waiting for him to come out :roll:

If you have any intension of even a few corals, be wary of the fish species you choose. If your pretty sure a FOWLR is the goal for now anyway, I would highly recommend a dwarf (Centropyge sp.) angel. Great addition to the fish you have/want and will add a fair amount of color and personality. They should not be considered sessile/motile invert safe though.

Ocean nutrition is good. Just don't go overboard, as with any dry/prepared foods, they can be a source of PO4. Used sparingly they are fine though.

Pistols can still detect changes in light and motion. Don't be fooled :wink:

Cheers
Steve

havefun, sounds like my tank minus the hippo tang and lawnmower blenny. Excellent Choices, just make sure you QT, especiallt the TANGS. I am still trying to determine if i have ich or not. Be sure to post pics when everything is in.

Thanks again for the great advice steve. The angel (Centropyge) looks like it would be great!

Be sure to post pics when everything is in.

Yes I will. I plan on posting to my gallery but I still can't even get a nice pic of my clown :roll:

Back
Top Bottom