livestock questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deathmatch782

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Info on my tank:
20 g tall w/
~25 lbs of lr
hob filter
130w PC lighting
ph
heater

Water params: nitrates- 5 amonia- 0 ph- 8.2 salinity- 1.026 nitrites- 0

So far for livestock i have:
Star clove polyp
some shrooms
an unknown softy
what i think is a lps
cleaning crew of hermits & snails
yellow-tail damsel (plan on getting rid of soon)

Now i plan on getting some zoos fairly soon. I would love to get a clown and anemone and a few other corals like hammer/colt/frogspawn to help fill out the tank.
Are there any hosting anemone's that will live under my lighting?
Also besides what i listed are there any other corals that would do fine in my system. A clownfish would be the only fish in the system and the rest i plan on being coral.

I also am looking into adding a refuge. It would be a 10 g tank under my stand. I'd get rid of the hob filter, and move my heater down there too. I'm hoping using macroalgae will help bring my nitrates down to zero.

Thx in advance.

Paul

You're really pushing it for anemones. Many clownfish happily host in corals as well as anemones, so you may just want to try softies that have shapes good for cozying up in.

I figured as much about keeping an anemone. All i know is that i dont have the budget to upgrade to halides. Figure i'll do more research and see if anything is compatible.

There are lots of softies that can take your medium lighting and like it. Just look around and research your species before you buy.

I love that site. It's commercial, but I use it as a research source more than for window shopping. I'd almost choose them as a supplier just to reward such good info! (My last dry goods order went to them, but unless I find someone to split orders with, I'll not likely get live fish due to shipping costs/minimum order.)

I don't consider 6 wpg medium lighting. It is sufficient lighting for anything you want to grow. The problem comes with the fact it is PC lighting which does not penetrate very deeply. Obviously higher light requiring corals need to be placed higher in the tank. The other problem is it is a 20 tall, that means that there will not be alot of room between corals and also of them will not make good neighbors for each other. My recommendation is to choose what types you want, ie: softies, or LPS and stick with that plan or you may end up with severe chemical warfare
amongst them. Leathers, although easy to maintain, can be HIGHLY aggressive,
as can colts. The other thing is some get very very big and would quickly take over your tank....just some food for thought.

Hara echoes my sentiments as well. I was thinking about all of the chemical warfare in such a small system. Obviously, mixing the anemone and other invertebrates in such a system is asking for trouble.

Back
Top Bottom