Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2004, 06:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If there is ammonia present it is time for a water change. A little bit of the algae isn't a bad thing. Get the ammonia down, and find out where the blenny is. In the meantime, maybe a few more snails would help

Old 07-22-2004, 06:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Also when i was cleaning the gravel i found 2 worms living in the gravel with heaps of tiny legs...would you guys know what it is? looks like a centipede?

Old 07-22-2004, 07:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bristleworms.. they are beneficial.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:51 PM   #14

hi mike,

should i get rid of the algae totally then? been changing the water twice a day and putting ammo-lock in the tank since i have ammonia present. Are turbo snails really sensitive? just worried that they might die. thank-you!
Old 07-22-2004, 09:19 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Sure you can get rid of the algae completely if you wish. If thier is a food source it will grow back however. Have you found the fish yet?? you need to find the source of the ammonia, I dought it has anything to do with the algae.
Check your filter for cleaning and go ahead on the water changes and dont worry to much. A little algae is pretty normal from time to time. Sometimes if something dies or if the filters are really dirty you might get a ammonia spike. You are doing everything right to combat it. I noticed you mentioned you have CC, do you syphon clean it from time to time?? it would be a good way to do a water change.

now look for that fish, lol

www.reeffrontiers.com
mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 06:20 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ammolock can give a false positive for ammonia. I would stop using it and find the source of ammonia.
What do you have for a cleanup crew? With cc I would have some hermits, they do a better job getting between the cc
Old 07-23-2004, 07:46 AM   #17

if i stop using ammo-lock in my tank while i have ammonia present, wouldn't that harm the fish? I just cleaned out my filter, did a 60% water change (which the fish didn't like) and now the ammonia level is on 1.0. Before it was 1.5. How long does it usually take to get rid of the ammonia? I found a few Bristleworms in my tank, and i have 2 turbo snails and 2 nemos. I have no idea how i got the ammonia
Old 07-23-2004, 10:22 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure what kind of filtration you have but it could be that the bacterial population somehow got wiped out. Do you use tank water to clean it out? Is there any LR in the tank?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 11:44 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Part of the prob with Ammo-lok is you never know when it is ammonia or just the ammo-lok giving the ammonia reading....

Do you have Nitrites? If so then you probably do have an ammonia problem, if not then maybe the ammonia is taken care of and what is left is a false reading?
Have you made any drastic changes to your tank prior to finding the ammonia problem (added fish, changed water source, added live rock, stirred up the substrate, squeezed a sponge filter, etc..)

What are your tank readings after your water changes (ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
Old 07-24-2004, 06:22 AM   #20

I used salt water (which i purchased from the fish store) to clean out my filtration. I have no idea how the ammonia got there. I've had my 2 nemos and 2 turbo snails in there since jan 2004 and everything has been fine. Ever since i removed the algae i started noticing ammonia in the water. I got a live rock in my tank its been there since Dec 2003. My ammonia reading is at 2! Its so high, been doing 30% water change everyday. The nitrate level is also present but not as high. My ph is at 8. I have very high phosphate reading (which i think is the cause of my algae growth). I just recently purchased a Ammo-free ball (removes ammonia). The fish store told me it should help remove the ammonia I haven't done anything out of the ordinary to my tank, the only thing i did was removed the long green hair algae. I've got a small tank, only 26litres, thats why i only have the 2 nemos in my tank. I'm thinking of just boarding my nemos at the fish store till i get my water right I just don't understand how this happened, i would have thought after 8 months that my bacteria population could combat this ammonia issue.

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com