Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2004, 07:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Long Green hair algae problem

Hi,

quick question. My tank is now full of green algae, to the point where i can't even see my nemos anymore. Since there was so many i removed the green algae from my fish tank and only left a little bit in there. Now will this cause the water to have high ammonia? or disrupt the water at any way? was kinda worried cause i've had my tank for 7 months and the water has been perfect. My tank is only 26Litres.
Reason why i removed it because i've been waiting for the fish store to order my lawn mover blennies for like 3 months now...too slack..so i just decided to remove the algae. please let me know if wat i did was right. if its wrong let me know a way i could fix it. thanks!

Nanci

Old 07-21-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Hiya Gizmo. Having a lot of hair algae usually means you have a nutrient problem that is feeding the algae. A blenny will eat the algae but will then poop out 90% of what ever it eats, so not a real good way to try to battle it. The best way to get rid of an algae problem is to kill its food source. So a couple of questions. What do you use for top off water, tap or ro/di??, whats you feeding regime like??? what kind of things do you have in your tank?? and what do you use for filtration??
Harvesting the hair algae is not a real bad thing, it will cause the algae to spore a bit and might psead it a bit, but removing it removes the nutrients that it has bound up.

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to packfan2204
i would definitely test your phosphates and put in a phosphate sponge

July 25, 2005-ship date, can't wait!!!
packfan2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The phosphate sponge is only a band aid (still good idea), still need to find source of nutirients. Lettuce nudis are good for hair as well.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:12 PM   #5

Hi Mike,

I change water once every week, i use salt water from which i buy from the fish shop. The thing is i have already ripped the algae out of the fish tank and only left a little bit in the tank. Would that cause my water to have high ammonia because i did that? I only have 2 nemos in my tank..since its such a small tank and i have 2 turbo snails. I feed my nemos twice a day..usually fish flake and shrimp. I have a Aqua one 126 tank, so the filtration is on top where the light is not on the bottom.

Thank-you

Nanci
Old 07-21-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont think you have anything to worry about.. do you test your water parameters regularly? Excessive feeding (with flakes especially) is one of the major causes of nuisance algae. It's probably better to feed less often in a small tank.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:33 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Hi Nancy. Harvesting the algae should not cause an ammonia rise unless you left the algae in. Nancy do you have any Live rock or live sand in the tank? If your only form of filtration is the aqua one, I would say give it a good cleaning, and set up a maintence schedule for doing it in the future.

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
You might want to turn your filter off when feeding as well. Excess food will get sucked up in the filter.

Scoop out any uneaten food then turn the filter back on.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alot of flake food has phosphate in it. Be careful not to over feed or trade out a few days with frozen foods...
Old 07-22-2004, 06:24 AM   #10

Hi Mike,

I took most of the algae out, however i left a bit in the tank. Yes i left the live rock in the tank which has a bit a algae growth on it. I don;'t have any sand in the tank. Should i remove the algae fully then? Or leave a little bit in? Cause i just did a water test and now there is ammonia present. quick worried now :| pls help

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com