Long tentacle nem question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a test kit for that. Should I pick one up?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Dkh= alkalinity. But if your using an api reef kit you should really look into better kits. IMHO your next 2 purchases should be an ro/di unit and quality tests before you try any more sensitive creatures

I'll pick up a dkh kit later today. I believe my Lfs sells kent, would kent be considered quality. As for all the others they will have to wait a week or two.

I picked up a Red Sea test kit my dkh is reading 10.4

Thoughts?

You are right. 7.8

Don't let it get much lower than that. I would test it every day to see how it fluctuates, and possibly purchase a buffer to correct it.

Ok. If I do end up needing a buffer what is the proper level.

Well, stability is more important than anything. You don't want it bouncing all over the place. I would keep it somewhere between 8 and 9.

Sounds good. I would hope to avoid dosing anything. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.

The lta moved today. It's laying on its side in the sand. His tentacles look out stretched and waving in the water. He actually looks better where he is now then where I planted him.

I know they move till they find a happy spot but how long should I let him stay on his side? A few days?

Unfortunately I can't see his mouth so I can't ultimately tell if he's better or worse.

If it's not attached it's not happy, mouth open or not. I would invest in some quality test kits. Especially the alkalinity kit. Salifert makes a good kit that's easy to use.

Ok, the wired part is there is a lot of sand on his foot. That he isn't letting go of. Almost like he grabbed the top layer of sand and something moved him.

Well unless that's normal.

I've been digging around google images and I think he is bleached. He has a tiny bit of brown in his tentacles but the rest of him is white.

I'm done buying nems from the Lfs and in general till I do more research.

Your pictures are very blue. hard to tell. Can you take a picture with daylights on? Most anemones come in somewhat bleached. It's because they keep them under very poor lighting or none at all until they ship them to stores, and many stores don't go out of their way with lighting either. Not to mention transferring from one system to another, and in many cases, less than ideal parameters. It's not the fault of the store. Human beings in general really.
That said, you can color them back up fairly easily with proper parameters and lighting.

Here is a pic of the lta.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406850259.495229.jpg

So my BTA is looking terrible. I fed him last night.

While it ate.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406928821.130575.jpg

Today after
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406928859.453796.jpg

Is this normal? Never have I seen him shrink this much.

Both of those anemones are under the weather. Double check your parameters pronto. Feeding it won't help if your alk is low. Both will need to color back up. They are not dead, but they are not happy either.

Just picked up some calcium and carbonate alkalinity.

Both are low. 7.8 dkh and 440 for calcium

Gonna dose alk tonight. Raise it by .2 tomorrow dose calcium raise it by 3 mg/l

Sound like a plan?

Why would you want to raise calc. It is already plenty high. Raising it more will promote calcium carbonate precipitation, lowering Alk.
Get your Alk in order first. Then, if calc is too low, raise it some. What is your latest mag level?

Back
Top Bottom