Long tentacle nem question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryB

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I picked this guy up yesterday and I know they should be placed in sand but should I just leave him like the picture below or should I plant him in the sand like a flower?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406502690.874954.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The bottom of an anemone is actually a foot. It will move around as it pleases until it is happy. How big is the tank? What kind of lighting is over it? These guys are photosynthetic and require intense lighting to survive.

29 biocube.

Custom led hood (18 3w leds) I'm not to worried about light in fact I think I have to much light.

Params? Tank age? I wouldn't call your lighting intense either, that could be part of the problem.

All param. are normal. The tank is about 1.5 years old.

I say it's intense because it bleached my bubble tip. Right now I have the lighting at about 30% for 4 hrs a day and the bubble tip is still bleached. No matter what I do the bubble tip will not regain color. It's actually rather frustrating.

I have all but givin up on the BTA, he was caught in a power head 8 months ago and seems to be hanging in there but not getting better. Hasent grown at all and no color in tips.

All param. are normal. The tank is about 1.5 years old.

I say it's intense because it bleached my bubble tip. Right now I have the lighting at about 30% for 4 hrs a day and the bubble tip is still bleached. No matter what I do the bubble tip will not regain color. It's actually rather frustrating.

I have all but givin up on the BTA, he was caught in a power head 8 months ago and seems to be hanging in there but not getting better. Hasent grown at all and no color in tips.

If all you give us is "normal" we can't help you. If the BTA hasn't regained color in that long it's either poor water quality or not enough light .....

Salinity 1.026
Ammo 0
Trites 0
Trates 0
Temp 78

Pwc 20% every week
No skimmer
Using distilled water cannot afford ro/di unit yet

I was told to turn down the light intensity and time to help the BTA regain the zooat(whatever it's called).

So again the lights are at about 30% turn on around 9am turn off around 1pm.

If you were having trouble with an easier anemone, you should have waited until it was recovering before trying a harder to keep one.
That aside, have both anemones planted their foot and staying put now? I do think this is tied to lighting. With things turned so low, it isn't enough. I'd turn it up 5% a week and stop around 65-75% and hold their. After a month things should start getting back to normal, if not up another 5%.
The thing about LEDs is that they penetrate water extremely well. With 18 3 watt LEDs, at 64 watts total, might be too much at full blast for a small tank. On my reef, I max my radions out at 75% and it gets turned down to 50% and slowly adjusts up over 4 weeks. Something time will tell.

I decided on another nem based on the fact that my BTA had a tear thru it's entire foot (ended up in a powerhead when first introduced) and it's still alive so I got to be doing something right.

I haven't got a definitive answer on how to treat the bleaching. Which now that I think back it was after the foot got caught.

The BTA is planted for sure. I placed the lta in a sand hole and covered the "stem". Not sure if it's planted yet, like I said it's two days old and my BTA floated around for a bit before it found its home, so I am assume the lta will act the same.

I will confirm if it moved when I get home tonight. I will also do as suggested and turn the lights up slowly.

I have been feeding the BTA mysis every 2-3 weeks and plan on doing the same with the lta, unless someone suggests otherwise.

Secondly I have the whites and blues on separate drivers, should one be more powerful than the other or is it up to what I think looks the best?

Also time of lights. Leave at 4hrs or up to 8.

You want them on for 8 hours. 4 is starving them of light. Start with the blues, then whites an hour later. Then reverse it.

Ok I'll up the time to 8. Raise 5% a week till around 70%.

Unfortunately I only have one timer for both sets of lights. Is this super critical?

With me changing length and intensity what should I be watching for, as far as trouble?

You've already seen what you are watching out for, bleaching. You want an anemone to plant its foot, stay there, and stay colored up.
As for the bleached, you want to see it begin coloring up. I'd still be concerned about the damaged foot. It is quite abnormal that an anemone will survive with a damaged foot, but keeping the parameters pristine and stable will provide what is necessary.

The damage was around 6 months ago. I am also surprised it has survived. I would think it is healed or as healed as the foot can get by this point.

Should I also be feeding it more because it is bleached, again I feed every 2-3 weeks.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406583997.605481.jpg

So now my lta has it's mouth wide open. I read that sometimes they open their mouth when hungry. But also read open mouth is bad news. What should I do.

Ok I'll let him chill. Thanks for your help today.

Anemones don't open their mouths when hungry. Less than ideal parameters could cause this though. What is your current DKH?

I don't think I can test for that?

I have the saltwater and reef master kits. I can check if it's in the test tho.

Back
Top Bottom