Long winded cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going to be getting a 90 gal set up. The tank has been running for a few years. It probably contains about 150 lbs lr and cc as the substrate. It also has a wet/dry filter with the bio balls. I did not plan to take much water (just enough to cover lr, cc & bio balls). I don't know if i am going to keep the cc or go to a sand bed (not a dsb since i am not sold on them yet). Also, from reading different post I am not sure if i am going to use the bio balls. Anyway, when i set this tank back up here, what type of cycle should i expect since the cc/lr/bio balls have bacteria? Should i set it up as is and then remove the balls and slowly change the substrate, or should i set it up like i want it and go from there?

One more question...would it be beneficial to put some of the lr from the new tank into my old tank and vice-versa to get different bacteria in the tanks, sort of like exchanging a cup or two of ls with people to improve it? :?:

My thoughts...

I'm thinking that the tank is going to be MOVING in order to get to you, right? Attack the changes in steps to minimize the potential cycling.

1) Move the system..trying to keep everything as it was with as little disturbing as possible. Monitor...
2) Once that is stable...remove the bioballs.. monitor
3) Once that is stable...remove/replace your sand bed if you want to. monitor
4) Once that is stable...start adding things you want to stay alive.

If you tear everything apart, remove the bioballs, sand....then you are basically starting completely over and losing any advantage that you might have had with a mature system. No big deal if that is what you want to do.

well if i keep everything as is right now when i get it (except the water will be mostly new) I should expect a minimum cycle? From where the tank is now to my house is less then an hour, but figuring break down and set up times it will be a few hours until everything is running. Will there be much bacteria die off on the cc, lr and bio balls? should i transport the bio balls under water or keep them damp?

Back
Top Bottom