Looking at starting a saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick_A

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I have been keeping freshwater fish for some time now. I am finally looking to delve into salt water. Some of my essential knowledge appears to transfer but not all.

I would like to do something simple with a small footprint. I have a 30 gallon hex that seems to be appropriate. However, I don't see much information regarding this for factor.

I would like to just go FOWLR and the only thing I can think of as far as stocking is concerned is that I would like an anemone with 2 clowns.

What, if any, other fish can be housed in this setup and what would be the best way to keep the current up?

Would I need a protein skimmer at this point? What kind of filtration is needed? it appears HOB filters are not commonly used in salt.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You dont need a protein skimmer, water changes will do just fine.

Anemones need an at least 1 year old tank with INTENSE lighting. For stock i think two clowns and maybe one small fish would be good. Can we see the tank, the foot print will matter in which stock you get.

I will need to dig it out. I was waiting to see if I can even do salt with it. It's a 23x20x24 30 gallon hex. Pretty tight. I was looking at the two clowns and a pj cardinal as they seem to do ok alone.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

cardinals do better in schools, id do 2 clowns and type of small goby. Oh and congrats on not wanting to overstock, seems like you actually looked into this a bit and realized what you can and cant have!

Would another invert be better? A little emerald crab or something of the like?

Yeah I used to keep barbs in it. I dislike the hex tanks because you can never keep much but I thought this would be a neat idea for a small tank.

So I have been looking. What kind of filtration is needed? Would a HOB or Canister filter do ok?

I would suggest a different tank. You won't be happy with this hex tank. Flow will be a challenge and so will aquascaping. Look for something with a larger footprint, like a 30 breeder, or 40 breeder even.

Back
Top Bottom