Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2003, 05:48 PM   #1

Looking for ideas for featured fish

Im looking to add what would be the feature or marquee fish to a 56 gal tank that has a yellow tang, kole tang and a flame angel (all about the same size, 2-3 inches), along with simple corals such as mushrooms and polyps. Lots of live rock, live sand, UV filter, all good equipment.

I was thinking maybe a butterfly, if there are any that would be okay with this type of reef. Maybe a threadfin, or possibly a banner fish. I like angels also, but I gather most are not reef friendly.

Looking for a fish that wouldn't grow beyond, say, 6 inches.

Thanks for feedback and ideas!
Old 08-17-2003, 07:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

A banner fish would be a nice addition. Make sure you get the right type though. Henochius Dip.. (sp?)

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:09 PM   #3

Is one banner fish OK, or must they be in pairs or more?
Old 08-19-2003, 12:10 AM   #4
Rye
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Rye Send a message via AIM to Rye Send a message via MSN to Rye Send a message via Yahoo to Rye
have you ever thought about a mandrin goby... its a brightly colour fish and they have a lot of charter to them... the males have the high dorsal fin, kind of like a fire fish.... or a royal gramma
Old 08-19-2003, 10:48 AM   #5

royal gramma would be great....any particular wrasses you would suggest?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:11 PM   #6
Rye

Send a message via ICQ to Rye Send a message via AIM to Rye Send a message via MSN to Rye Send a message via Yahoo to Rye
i would get a fairy wrasse.. they are reef safe and help keep every thing clean, they also eat a lot of parasites. make sure you have a cover on your tank as these guys like to jump
Old 08-20-2003, 03:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Don't angels (particularly dwarfs) pick at corals?

What about copper-banded butterflies?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:07 PM   #8
Rye

they might. i have a flame angel in my reef no problem.. the dwarfs are far less likely to pick at corals.. at the fish store i worked at out of all the dwarf angels the only one that was brought back was a bi-colour angel cause it was picking at corals.. its a chance you would have to take but i never had a problem with ppl buying them and destroying there reefs.. the larger ones are no way reef safe!!! i've clean a bunch of tanks for customers that were reef and they have dwarfs in them. its up to you
Old 08-20-2003, 09:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
i think you already have a lot of fish for a 56 gal tank the kole tang gets to be about 7 inches and the yellow tang 10 not sure on the flame guess would be about 3 or 4...i would not add another fish until i found someone to take at least one of the tangs...sorry jmo
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 12:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
What about the copperbanded butterfly? I've always wanted one of these fish, but I was hoping to add a couple corals in the future, so I didn't bother. Are they prone to eating corals, or have I heard wrong?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com