Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

looking for ideas for my tank?

Hey everyone i have a 30 gallon tank with a 20 gallon refugium under it. i have a dual t5 lighting and 2 power heads rate for 500 gph. right now my stocking list it a yellow watchmen goby pair with a tiger pistol shimp (which doesnt come out since i got him) a black and white cardinal fish, a yellow tail damsel, a scooter blenny,7 astraea snails, 5 nassarius snails, a green bubble tip aneomore and a duncan coral with 5 heads. Well esle would be a nice fish to do i was think 2 clowns or a red hawk and a 6 liner. Any ideas would be great thank you.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wait do you already have those 4 fish?? For a 30 gallon i would get a max of 5 fish. Id get
Watchman/shrimp
2 clowns
6 line
1 cardinal

Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea i have them 4 fish in there mean i make take the dasmel back cause he was a starter fish. Someone told me to get a fairy fish or a flame angel. I though a flame angel be to big for a 30 48=&5/
Old 08-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How about a cleaner shrimp? I know they aren't fish but I kept one in a 30 for years and he was awesome. Would clean my hand when I put it in there to move corals around. It's always great to watch them clean your fish.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a question an it maybe stupid but do shimp or crab take up space like the same as fish? Like bioload wise i mean or count as in inch per some many gallons?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeysuckle11
I have a question an it maybe stupid but do shimp or crab take up space like the same as fish? Like bioload wise i mean or count as in inch per some many gallons?
Yes, they require food and they expel waste just as a fish does. Their bioload is smaller than most fish but they are still part of the bioload.

I would say your fully stocked for now. If after 6-12 months your still able to control nitrates then maybe 1 more fish maybe. Dont forget the fish you have will grow, and their bioload will increase, depending on current size the bioload could double in a year just from the fish growing.

I think you should probably take back one of the watchman for something else. The pistol will most likely kill it otherwise. Just a thought.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I only have one watchmen goby most of my fish are almost fuly grow.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I only have one watchmen goby most of my fish are almost fuly grow.
My mistake i misread. You said yellow watchman goby pair but i now realize you meant paired with the tiger pistol.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

So u think i could get a pair of clowns fish if i take back my yellow tail damsel
Old 08-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So u think i could get a pair of clowns fish if i take back my yellow tail damsel
Its still pushing it for a 30g that would still put u at 5 with the tiger and the 2 clowns will have the largest bioload in the tank.

If you do i would only get ocellaris clowns. Just remember if nitrates/phosphates become a problem then you might have to remove something else. Otherwise i think your okay. Good luck catching the damsel tho

Tags
ideas, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com