Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Vanphyre Send a message via AIM to Vanphyre
Looking for new Powerheads

Right now I have two Penguin 550 Powerheads, Flow Rate: 145 gph each in my 46 gallong bowfront. From reading on this site that doesn't seem to be near enough, probably why I am getting "dead spots".

Would It be smart to switch to 2 Maxi-Jet 1200's? That would give me about 590gph instead of the 290gph that I have now. Would that be too powerful for this small a tank? Or, should I leave the two I have and add a Maxi-Jet near the bottom of the tank for a total of 3 powerheads?

Also, other Powerhead recommendations would be cool too, but I read the Maxi-Jets are a fine product.

Any opinions will be well appreciated. Don't want to make wrong purchases, the wife is already telling me I spend too much. LOL.

Thanks!

2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
RO/DI Water Changes 10% a week
Vanphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maxijet ph's are all I use so I can't offer another brand suggestion. They have always been very reliable for me.
Adding another powerhead is what I would do. It gives you more movement directing options. But, that is another another wire that's gonna show in the tank and I know some people aren't keen on that. It's a matter of preference for you. If you decide on new powerheads, the 1200's may be a bit of overkill. I'd go with two 900's. That would give you 460gph and 10x's the gallon on water movement is pretty standard. This is all opinion as there is really no set rule and alot will have to do with your rock scaping.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Fluff!

I wouldn't mind an extra wire back there to get lots of waterflow. One wire is nothing compared to the pump for my Remora Pro, LOL. I read a post earlier this morning where someone stated 15x to 20x for the flow. I was like, wow... my fish would be caught in a whirlpool.

I am past my upload quota but I have a pic showing my rockscaping in this post. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...116&highlight=

Looking at that, should I add the new powerhead somewhere near the bottom of the tank? I'd like to get a lot of flow near the sand bed, especially in that back left corner where the algae problem is.
2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
Old 06-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, you definately need more flow down there. Aiming one to blow behind your rocks should help. I'd be doing some extra water changes as well to help with the cyano. Water movement will help keep it from settling but not really help the root cause. HTH.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, and to remove some of your old attachments so you can upload more, you can click on your profile from here. You should see a link to Manage your upload quota. That should take you to a page where you can delete some.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fluff, you rock. Deleted a bunch of old attachments, didn't know I could do that.

I am going to do a bunch of water changes, this algae battle will be rought. I hope the flow will help. I am using frozen food that I am soaking in vitamins, then draining, so I don't know where this darn Cyano is getting it's source from. :/

So should I order a Maxi 900 or 1200 to aim behind the rocks? I'll keep the two powerheads I have up top.

Thanks again!
2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
Old 06-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

A maxi 900 should work well.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
This might be a silly suggestion. btu if you ever had a dead spot or a specific coral that you wanted to get some flow over you could opt for the cheap route which would also work well.

And by that I mean gettign a super small pump that you could locate where required.

Take a look at:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...d1=2181;pcid2=

This thing is super small. Uses a low amount of energy. Provides a low flow that can be directed at specific areas of need.

Not ideal if you are tryign to get larger overall flows for the tank but great for a specific area that is a dead spot or for a specific coral that needs a little more flow. I have two of these running in my 10 gallon tank as the main water movers along with a HOB filter. So far so good.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanphyre
I read a post earlier this morning where someone stated 15x to 20x for the flow. I was like, wow... my fish would be caught in a whirlpool.
It really depends more on the type of ph you get more then the total tank turn over. I have one Seio 620 pump on each side of the tank, a Magnum 350, and a Mag 9.5 in my sump for a total of around 2400 GPH on my 55 gal tank or a 43+ times turn over.

Because the Seio pumps put out such a smooth wide flow my tank isn’t overwhelmed by the flow and the fish seem to enjoy swimming in/against the current. I do cycle the Seio’s off at night though with a timer so they can settle in within the lr and get some sleep

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powerheads

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com