looking for skimmer/filter options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmary49

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to set up a 29gal sw tank. I currently have a freshwater set up, is there something (skimmer?) inexpensive I can add to make the filtration system less expensive than buying an entire new filter system? Or is there an affordable filter/skimmer combo out there I should look at? I have had a Skilter filter before and was happy. Looking for options.

With a tank the size of a 29 gal., your kind of on the border of needing one or not. Granted they are always handy to have, but at your size you could just compensate for not having one by doing weekly PWC's. Only time I would say you really need one is if you plan on keeping corals, but if it's just fish, then water changes may be your cheap ticket! :hat:

They are not the greatest but skilter makes a skimmer/filter outfit. I used it for a few years and it was Ok but like I said not the greatest.

so youre saying i could run saltwater ok with a regular filter??

you can actually run a salt tank without a single piece of live rock. we've just realized over the years that with ocean rock's porousness and amount of surface area, that it's really good as a filtration component, and also looks like the real ocean floor. you know that bacteria resides on surfaces, and this is why we use porous ocean rock. we call it "live" because it's covered with bacteria. the hitch hikers are extra.

you could run a salt tank with a HOB filter, a cannister, whatever you want.

Well Im sure I'll get some LR but what are your top recommendations then for ground cover. Excellent point there mrX.. for this set up what would be a great floor material? Any other opinions / expierences?

i would choose aragonite based sand, just larger than sugar sized. large enough that it doesn't blow all over the place, and small enough so that detritus can't settle in between the granules.
have you put thought into your stock list? some creatures prefer/need a deeper bed, and some sift the bed for food. i would decide on what you are intending to keep and then arrange the aqua scape accordingly.

you can actually run a salt tank without a single piece of live rock. we've just realized over the years that with ocean rock's porousness and amount of surface area, that it's really good as a filtration component, and also looks like the real ocean floor. you know that bacteria resides on surfaces, and this is why we use porous ocean rock. we call it "live" because it's covered with bacteria. the hitch hikers are extra.

you could run a salt tank with a HOB filter, a cannister, whatever you want.

Can you, yes, imo should you, never. Its possible to use all mechanical filtration, but the long term sustainability of that option I feel is pretty low without a lot of maintenance. A FO tank would be a lot easier then a reef, but even then. You are looking at adding chemicals and substrates to remove a lot of basic toxic stuff, but for how long?

I'm sure someone out there is doing it just fine, it just doesn't seem like a long term feasible option without some serious risk and problems, and a ton of tlc.

Again, just my opinion.

Can you, yes, imo should you, never. Its possible to use all mechanical filtration, but the long term sustainability of that option I feel is pretty low without a lot of maintenance. A FO tank would be a lot easier then a reef, but even then. You are looking at adding chemicals and substrates to remove a lot of basic toxic stuff, but for how long?

I'm sure someone out there is doing it just fine, it just doesn't seem like a long term feasible option without some serious risk and problems, and a ton of tlc.

Again, just my opinion.

I will eventually upgrade filtration system, but to get started to save on initial costs. i think i will start with regular filter, then eventually upgrade.

i would like to run a few corals, a clown fish. a tang, butterfly, gobi, maybe another small fish that would like to live in the the LR.

jimbo, you are forgetting that we've only been utilizing live rock for the last 15 years or so. what do you think people were doing before that?
There is a LFS near me "that fish place/that pet place" that you may have heard of. they keep their entire system, which is thousands of gallons, stable without a piece of live rock, for years and years.

there isn't a ton of tlc, and there's just as much risk with any system.
what problems do you see using surfaces besides live rock to hold bacteria?

btw, the OP wasn't asking about a reef tank. just a salt water tank.

I'm not forgetting and I know the OP was just talking about general SW, but I like to give out advice catered towards the more reef side because most people end up going that way before too long. I would rather tell people about the slightly more complicated issues with reef to prepare them.
I'm sure SeaWorld runs all mechanical filtration as well, but for a LFS and larger setups, its a little easier. They can justify spending big money on a 4' skimmer and other things because it is their livelihood at stake. For the home hobbyist, especially one just starting off, I believe having LR is a safer and more effective system. I think there is less risk with a natural filtration that will keep on filtering no matter what, as compared to your canister crapping out one weekend and you are out of town. Not trying to be argumentative, just sharing my personal philosophy, which is why I tag these as, just in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom