Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2006, 06:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to SpaceButler
Wow, great replies. This is something exciting for me because I'm just so used to one big guy in the tank. I've never known much about plants or lighting at all. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure what to feed small fish. I'm used feeding golfball-sized pellets.

((EDIT: In fact, I'm going to officially ask that question))
1) What sort of staple food would I use? I heard feeding flakes all the time was akin to eating potato chips all the time. Is that true? I'd feed it bloodworms and such too probably.

I think you've convinced me to go to at least a 20 gallon. I can't wait.

Any more suggestions on fish would be appreciated. I plan to hold to the community rule of high middle and low swimmers. Thanks again.

P.S. I'll post a couple recent pics of my oscar later. I'm at work right now.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is really hard to make specific recomendations. I think a list of fish that you are thinking about and then we can let you know their compatability.

I agree with justonemore20, cardinals and harlequin rasboras would make a really cool school of fish although I don't know if they are compatible which each other. If they are, the schooling interaction would look cool.

Corys on the bottom, Julii(C. trilineatus actually) with albino would be cool. maybe 3 of each. They will school together.

Middle fish, I don't know. Gouramis might be too agressive for schoolers, angels definatley would be, Rams I have no clue about. Maybe someone else can give a good idea for a center to top water fish.

As for pleco, I would recommend the same ones but I would say get 2 of them. When mine are alone they just seem to mope. A male and female BN might be good and you might get lucky and get little ones from them. Just add a little driftwood in a spot and they should be happy. Whatever ones you get, driftwood will make them happy and keep them healthy.

Give us ideas of what you like and we will try to help you make decisions that will be best for the tank and the fish.

Just one more thing, fishless cycling is going to be recommended here. Not many here will recommend cycling with fish. The details on the fishless cycle are in the stickys.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe SpaceButler has a 55G with the oscar .... should be able to seed the new filter using filter material from that tank for the new tank. That should assure a very fast cycle.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:09 PM   #14
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I'd get 6 of the same cories...not 3 of 2 types. A 20g (make sure its a long) isn't huge, so I'd stick to small cory types for the bottom...pandas, trilineatus, and bandit cories are the smaller, bottom types. Habrosus (salt and pepper) and Pygmy cories are the smallest types, but are more middle and bottom swimmers (so wouldn't be great for the bottom layer). If you can't find pandas, trilineatus, or bandit cories, then I'd go with a pleco. I wouldn't have 2 plecos though. They are big waste producers so you will have enough to clean up after with just one.

Cardinals and harlequin rasboras are compatible. Both are very peaceful.

Most fish aren't a specific top, middle, or bottom fish. Most of them swim all over the tank. I'd just go with 2 schools of 6 or one big school of 10, a centerpiece of gourami or ram, and some smaller cories or a pleco. I don't go by the layers.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lecturing me on cycling. Psha! I'm so insulted.

JK, but thanks for the concern.

EDIT: Also, here's a picture of my oscar most-recent.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/7...hespose6ur.jpg
Old 07-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
I'll be honest, I've never liked oscars... but yours is really gorgeous.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
SpaceButler - Nice looking fish!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you very much.

And thanks for all the help, but I did some budgeting, and it'll probably be a while before I get another tank.

Tags
10 gallon, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com