Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is another design to utilize filter socks by making a sort of trough in the first section that has two filter sucks dropped in so the water has to drain through them both or as many as you'd like to go longer between changing them

Old 07-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice Freak

so u dont thin 1/8 glass is to thin cause i was going to cut them today and get everything rdy for me to glue tomorrow?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Freak

i was think i could cut like a big square of glass and drill a hole in it the my over pipe could fit in. and then tuck the sock though the hole about 3/4 quarter of the way and then feed the rubber pipe in it ab 3 inches and tie it up above the glass. u think that would work?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly since in a sense it'll be submerged I wouldn't see why it wouldn't without having much stress on it but I'm no expert on glass so someone else's opinion would.be good
Old 07-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeysuckle11
i was think i could cut like a big square of glass and drill a hole in it the my over pipe could fit in. and then tuck the sock though the hole about 3/4 quarter of the way and then feed the rubber pipe in it ab 3 inches and tie it up above the glass. u think that would work?
Just make sure its lower then the brim of the tank cause socks will overflow when they need changed and you don't want that flowing into your stand
Old 07-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Freak

but i make it little bigger the the pipe so its not a tight fit but a nice fit. So for ex i cut a 4 by 4 square. and say my over pipe is one inch well i drill a inch and a half hole and push my sock though it and the my over flow pipe and the tie it up above the glass or i use zip ties and just cut them off everytime
Old 07-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Freak

and i glue the glass in a corner. and sock will be below the top of the tank and have a sheild above it so if it does overflow then the glass will reflect it back to the tank
Old 07-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could but I'd build it with keeping in mind that the easier maintenance is the better so make it easy on yourself and do it the best way possible for your setup as you can the first time
Old 07-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeysuckle11
and i glue the glass in a corner. and sock will be below the top of the tank and have a sheild above it so if it does overflow then the glass will reflect it back to the tank
That's what I did for my socks lol
Old 07-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Freak

oh nice i mean i do like my idea and will be simple to take care of i think but even it i do it that way to start and then buy the sock holder later im just looking to save money where i can to get this runnin and i add to it as im going. But not looking to go the cheap way out where i run into problem. what mico number is ur socks?

Tags
20 gallon, build, gallon, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com