Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your sump will be a product of your own design and needs though and everyone's will probably be slightly different.. you just need to understand the basics of why your using a sump/rufuge and then you can make it to best suit you

Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea i agree with that. i mean i understand y i want to use sump and with all the information u gave and with what i looked up and all i think its a piece of cake to build but will just take some time to build it. so u only have 2 sponges in ue last baffle and thats it?

Old 07-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya filtration wise I've got as of now not in the pic. A nylon sock that drains directly into my mesh sock for a finer filtration then enters my skimmer section to be skimmed. It then enters the fuge where my algae,pods, and other small life helps naturally clean up the water. It then enters my bubble trap which must pass through the sponges for a final mechanical filter to reduce fuge waste/debris from entering. From there 2/3s of it enters the return pump to go back to the tank and 1/3 enters my Uv sterilizer which then sends it back to the skimmer section to start all over
Old 07-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

so u dont just have it run straight though u have like a second pip which feed water back to the start again? like i was going to have it run from my tank down though a nylon sock which then wil go into my skimmer section. Then though my bubble trap with sponges in the end like urs then into my refugium and then into my return pump. u saying i should put my bubble trap after my refugium?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

wa going to use 1/8 glass but people are telling me to use 1/4 inch
Old 07-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's up to you on the bubble trap placement some put it first some last.. I personally like it last because I feel the micro bubbles are a good addition to the fuge (no science to back me up all speculation lol) and yes I have a soft line running from my Uv sterilizer to send back some water cause just like your skimmer its all about contact time.. the more you have with out restricting flow the better
Old 07-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeysuckle11
wa going to use 1/8 glass but people are telling me to use 1/4 inch
1/8 I would only use for 10 gallons but you COULD use it for a bit larger but when it comes to your SW tank cutting corners can actually cost you a LOT of $ lol
Old 07-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

maybe i do my bubble trap then like yours i kinda see ur point cause just will be fliter more by the end. im going to saying when running all this stuff u wont have it run on the first shot with having the return pump and over flow box working perfect together or it easy to set up? Plus ur uv stereilizer that in ur refugium or in ur return tank?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea i agree with u there i not cutting any corners with salt water. its like 16 buck for a 18 by 24 inch piece at lowes
Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your tank is drilled it is very simple. Gravity does the work for you. If your using a HOB overflow you'll have to match the siphon gph with a return pump which can be difficult but my sterilizer is attached to the wall of my stand here's some pics (need to clean my socks lol)

Tags
20 gallon, build, gallon, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com