Looking to build a 20 gallon sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes use acrylic and cut 2 pieces to fit into the corner of the top of the tank with about 1/2 inch inbetween them and cut a C shape to slide in the sock and overflow line

I actually pulled mine out though and just use filter bags now with draw strings which I'm pretty happy with but you have to stay ontop of cleaning them more imo

so im going to glu 2 piece in the corner and cut like U channels out just big enough to slide the over pipe into and then just put a sock just on the over flow pipe?

see my overfloe pipe will be a straight drop with no elbrow i think wont really know til i drill it out and start buying the parts. mean the lfs store wants to sell me rubber hose and clamps for everything

A bag will go "on" the line a sock will be held in place with the bottom piece of acrylic and the line will drain into the sock

o0k now i see the picture u just have ur over pipe in the the tank and pulled a sock over it right?

Honestly I would go with as many soft lines as you can since it will allow for easier maintenance

honeysuckle11 said:
o0k now i see the picture u just have ur over pipe in the the tank and pulled a sock over it right?

Yes it is a hardline that runs about a 2-3" into the tank

well i mean u have a double fliting going on with ur socks right? so i cut the channel so the sock will slide down in them so that the sock doesnt come loss or fall over. so the sock will slide down in the slides i cut? what mico would u recommand to use?

There is another design to utilize filter socks by making a sort of trough in the first section that has two filter sucks dropped in so the water has to drain through them both or as many as you'd like to go longer between changing them

so u dont thin 1/8 glass is to thin cause i was going to cut them today and get everything rdy for me to glue tomorrow?

i was think i could cut like a big square of glass and drill a hole in it the my over pipe could fit in. and then tuck the sock though the hole about 3/4 quarter of the way and then feed the rubber pipe in it ab 3 inches and tie it up above the glass. u think that would work?

Honestly since in a sense it'll be submerged I wouldn't see why it wouldn't without having much stress on it but I'm no expert on glass so someone else's opinion would.be good

honeysuckle11 said:
i was think i could cut like a big square of glass and drill a hole in it the my over pipe could fit in. and then tuck the sock though the hole about 3/4 quarter of the way and then feed the rubber pipe in it ab 3 inches and tie it up above the glass. u think that would work?

Just make sure its lower then the brim of the tank cause socks will overflow when they need changed and you don't want that flowing into your stand

but i make it little bigger the the pipe so its not a tight fit but a nice fit. So for ex i cut a 4 by 4 square. and say my over pipe is one inch well i drill a inch and a half hole and push my sock though it and the my over flow pipe and the tie it up above the glass or i use zip ties and just cut them off everytime

and i glue the glass in a corner. and sock will be below the top of the tank and have a sheild above it so if it does overflow then the glass will reflect it back to the tank

You could but I'd build it with keeping in mind that the easier maintenance is the better so make it easy on yourself and do it the best way possible for your setup as you can the first time

honeysuckle11 said:
and i glue the glass in a corner. and sock will be below the top of the tank and have a sheild above it so if it does overflow then the glass will reflect it back to the tank

That's what I did for my socks lol

oh nice i mean i do like my idea and will be simple to take care of i think but even it i do it that way to start and then buy the sock holder later im just looking to save money where i can to get this runnin and i add to it as im going. But not looking to go the cheap way out where i run into problem. what mico number is ur socks?

Back
Top Bottom