Looking to get into coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Higgins335

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I am looking to get into coral I have a 55 gal with live rock. Lighting consists of 2 cf 65 w ho fluorescent 12000k daylight and 2 65w blue actinic bulbs and 4 moon light LEDs. I don't know the first thing about coral as this is my first reef tank. I would like info on nice sturdy coral prefer lots of color. Info on how to place in tank. How to feed it. Water parameters etc. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mushrooms are a great beginner coral. They're very hardy, don't need to be fed, and come in some great colors.

Started my first dip into the coral world today went with a blueish purple mushroom colony. Here's hoping it works out right.

Higgins335 said:
Started my first dip into the coral world today went with a blueish purple mushroom colony. Here's hoping it works out right.

Very nice. Let's see some pics when they're settled in. As I said, shrooms are about as easy a coral as you'll find. They should be just fine.

BallinCrew10 said:
Very nice. Let's see some pics when they're settled in. As I said, shrooms are about as easy a coral as you'll find. They should be just fine.

What kind of lighting is needed for shrooms?

BallinCrew10 said:
Generally speaking shrooms are a low-moderate light, low-moderate flow coral.

What is "low" light?60 watts home depot t8's with 6500k bulbs? Lol

Bloomk said:
What is "low" light?60 watts home depot t8's with 6500k bulbs? Lol

No I would say t5's. A low light coral would simply be placed closer to the bottom of your tank, or maybe in a shady area. While I moderate and high light coral would be place halfway or at the top of your aquascaping, closer to the lights.

with that light, defintley stay in the lower light requirements. For the most part, corals get their food from the algae that grows in them or on them(can't remember exactly), there is a name but I can't spell it. the nps corals are the only ones that need to be fed.

for placement of corals, you have to move them around and see where they look the healthiest, once you find that spot, leave them there. I went through the motions of buying a coral and moving around over the course of a week to find its happy spot. just move it once everyday so it's not stressed out.

kdogg85 said:
with that light, defintley stay in the lower light requirements. For the most part, corals get their food from the algae that grows in them or on them(can't remember exactly), there is a name but I can't spell it. the nps corals are the only ones that need to be fed.

for placement of corals, you have to move them around and see where they look the healthiest, once you find that spot, leave them there. I went through the motions of buying a coral and moving around over the course of a week to find its happy spot. just move it once everyday so it's not stressed out.

But how do you know when it is happy? When it is open?

It'll be open and just look "good" you'll see, you should be able to tell when your coral is happy or not. :) It's weird to describe...

carey said:
It'll be open and just look "good" you'll see, you should be able to tell when your coral is happy or not. :) It's weird to describe...

Hm just a feeling i guess? Maybe ill know once i actually get a sw tank :)

Carey, i cant recognize you now that youv changed your profile pic!! Nice car!

LOL. I was messing with my CP panel and figured why not? Something I love more than fish, errr, well, maybe not as much as fish ! LOL

I started with easier corals and it kinda gave me a feel for them before I added the more demanding ones. I can tell if my coral is having a bad day usually, makes me worry of course, but it gives me a really good feel for the health of my tanks. It will also come to the point where you'll know if you need a water change or not, sounds kinda "hippy" like but you'll see. The longer I have my tanks the more I feel in tune with them. LOL

carey said:
LOL. I was messing with my CP panel and figured why not? Something I love more than fish, errr, well, maybe not as much as fish ! LOL

I started with easier corals and it kinda gave me a feel for them before I added the more demanding ones. I can tell if my coral is having a bad day usually, makes me worry of course, but it gives me a really good feel for the health of my tanks. It will also come to the point where you'll know if you need a water change or not, sounds kinda "hippy" like but you'll see. The longer I have my tanks the more I feel in tune with them. LOL

Gottcha! I guess corals are definatly good way to moniter water quality

Obviously I have got the coral bug. The mushroom colony opened right up and looks great. Now I want a bit more color. Placed an order today and this is what I have coming. Chalice Green Alien Eye Frag,Maroon Favites Frag, 10 Multi-Pack Ricordea - Assorted - Orange - Blue - Rainbow - Neons & Greens, ORA Xenia Red Sea Pom Pom. Excited for them to get here.

Nice!!! How much did all that run you and where did you order from, of course, if you dont mind my asking :)

Item ID ITEMS PRICE QTY Total
DG-ATLMSPD4 Two Little Fishies Marine Snow $12.99 1 $12.99
176-2 Adopted Emerald Crabs $5.99 3 $17.97
520 100 Empty Hermit Crab Shells $3.99 1 $3.99
345 Nassarius Snail - Group of 10 $9.99 1 $9.99
3713-2 Chalice Green Alien Eye Frag $29.99 1 $29.99
3639 Maroon Favites Frag $19.99 1 $19.99
173 Blue Leg Hermit Crab - Group of 10 $9.99 2 $19.98
4020 10 Multi-Pack Ricordea - Assorted - Orange - Blue - Rainbow - Neons & Greens $99.99 1 $99.99
4326 ORA Xenia Red Sea Pom Pom $39.99 1 $39.99
That is my entire order from saltwaterfish.com. Total was 250 and change I feel I got a lot of bang for my buck.

Back
Top Bottom