Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Yes it will (coraline question)

Xenia. Mushrooms. Two veryveryvery easy corals,
I'll look into some of those! What would 96 watts of t5 HO be for corals? I believe it's 2 18 watt 10k and 2 18 watt actinic. The numbers may be different but either 16 or 18 watts lol.

Edit-it's actually 24 watts each lol. Stupid math

Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've been looking at a ton of saltwater tank setup videos on YouTube. Every single one of the videos used a bacteria starter product and added fish after a couple days. I don't think they work though. What's the easiest and most used method to cycling a saltwater tank (besides using seeded media)?

And, how many pounds of base rock and live rock for a 20 g? I was going to do 30 lbs base and 5 lbs live, but it seems like a lot.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Does anyone know anything at all about the water filter?

This is what I said from above :

Water-rodi water is best to use, I know. But my parents got a water filter for the kitchen. It looks like an rodi system, it has the 3 cylinder filter things. It hooks up to the tap and I just turn the water on and bam it's filtered. I'm going to list all the things it removes in a second. But, would I be able to use this water? Or would rodi water be best? Edit: this is what it removes:
Lead
Cyst
VOCs
Sand
Silt
Sediment
Rust
Particulates
Chlorine taste and odor
Old 03-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post
I've been looking at a ton of saltwater tank setup videos on YouTube. Every single one of the videos used a bacteria starter product and added fish after a couple days. I don't think they work though. What's the easiest and most used method to cycling a saltwater tank (besides using seeded media)?

And, how many pounds of base rock and live rock for a 20 g? I was going to do 30 lbs base and 5 lbs live, but it seems like a lot.
I've never bought into those bacteria cycling start ups. I used a couple and never noticed a major difference.

I'd reccomend doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia:
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

As to how much rock, most folks go with 1-1.5 lbs of rock per gallon. So the 35lbs total seems good. If you're doing a sump, you can add more rock or put some of it down there.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com