Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Hey all you salties out there!

Im looking to start my first saltwater tank (fowlr for now-we'll see about some corals when I get used to saltwater) I'm going to start with a 20 gallon L tank which is as big as I can go for now . I have a lot of questions.

Cycling-can I do the regular fishless cycling with ammonia?

Ph-could it be anywhere on the range like freshwater?

Anything special I have to do in a sw fowlr compared to a fw community? Just feed and make sure salinity is good? Or is there more to it?

Topping the tank off-do I make saltwater just to top the tank off? Or do you top it off with freshwater because the salt doesn't evaporate?

Live Rock- what does it do, anything special? I plan on getting 30 lbs of base rock and maybe 5 lbs of live Rock.

Corals- do you feed them? What do I have to test for with corals? Can you give me the jist on how to keep them alive and healthy?

Water-rodi water is best to use, I know. But my parents got a water filter for the kitchen. It looks like an rodi system, it has the 3 cylinder filter things. It hooks up to the tap and I just turn the water on and bam it's filtered. I'm going to list all the things it removes in a second. But, would I be able to use this water? Or would rodi water be best? Edit: this is what it removes:
Lead
Cyst
VOCs
Sand
Silt
Sediment
Rust
Particulates
Chlorine taste and odor


Phew that's a lot. Thanks in advance
__________________

__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9
Hey all you salties out there!

Im looking to start my first saltwater tank (fowlr for now-we'll see about some corals when I get used to saltwater) I'm going to start with a 20 gallon L tank which is as big as I can go for now . I have a lot of questions.

Cycling-can I do the regular fishless cycling with ammonia?

Ph-could it be anywhere on the range like freshwater?

Anything special I have to do in a sw fowlr compared to a fw community? Just feed and make sure salinity is good? Or is there more to it?

Topping the tank off-do I make saltwater just to top the tank off? Or do you top it off with freshwater because the salt doesn't evaporate?

Live Rock- what does it do, anything special? I plan on getting 30 lbs of base rock and maybe 5 lbs of live Rock.

Corals- do you feed them? What do I have to test for with corals? Can you give me the jist on how to keep them alive and healthy?

Water-rodi water is best to use, I know. But my parents got a water filter for the kitchen. It looks like an rodi system, it has the 3 cylinder filter things. It hooks up to the tap and I just turn the water on and bam it's filtered. I'm going to list all the things it removes in a second. But, would I be able to use this water? Or would rodi water be best? Edit: this is what it removes:
Lead
Cyst
VOCs
Sand
Silt
Sediment
Rust
Particulates
Chlorine taste and odor

Phew that's a lot. Thanks in advance
Hey bud haha! Ill help here!

1. Not sure. I havent heard of it being done in a sw tank, but you could i guess. I would just use a shrimp or mysis..

2. For a reef you want a higher ph

3. hmm..just feed i guess! Im trying to think os a difference. Just test like in fw and feed.

4. Yeah just top off with temp matched rodi water.

5. Live rock helps the cycle, and it also seeds tge base rock with its algaes like coraline. Fun hitch hikers too!

6. For the easy corals you will be doing, no feeding is requires. They get what they need from their lighting and the nutrients in the water. Just do water changes!

7.you already know im stumped on this one! Lol.
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
Hey bud haha! Ill help here!

1. Not sure. I havent heard of it being done in a sw tank, but you could i guess. I would just use a shrimp or mysis..

2. For a reef you want a higher ph

3. hmm..just feed i guess! Im trying to think os a difference. Just test like in fw and feed.

4. Yeah just top off with temp matched rodi water.

5. Live rock helps the cycle, and it also seeds tge base rock with its algaes like coraline. Fun hitch hikers too!

6. For the easy corals you will be doing, no feeding is required. They get what they need from their lighting and the nutrients in the water. Just do water changes!

7.you already know im stumped on this one! Lol.
Okay lol. I didn't want to keep bombarding you with PM's, so heres the thread

1. but wouldnt the shrimp just break down to ammonia anyway? so just adding pure ammonia save a few days waiting for the shrimp to make ammonia? I dont know, it could be different for sw.
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9

Okay lol. I didn't want to keep bombarding you with PM's, so heres the thread

1. but wouldnt the shrimp just break down to ammonia anyway? so just adding pure ammonia save a few days waiting for the shrimp to make ammonia? I dont know, it could be different for sw.
Lol! Cool beans.

I think it would. Again, ive never heard of people cycling that way. We need another idea
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Retired_AF's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gastonia, NC
Posts: 738
There is a lot of good info on the sticky with the articles to get started. They will answer a lot of your questions.
__________________
Jim
Why do I love fish? Because every time I stare into the little world I have created for them, every problem I have just floats away....
Retired_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I just checked some of those stickies out, helped soo much.

I just found this substrate and I was going to buy it for the tank. I just saw that it says that you can add fish right away? whats the deal with this stuff f anyone knows? Some of the reviews confirmed the instant cycle part, but I'd still be leery (sp?) of it. Aquarium Substrates: Nature's Ocean Bio-Active Reef Sand and Reef Substrate

found this promising review too: http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Ocean-...owViewpoints=1
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Supra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South jersey
Posts: 310
Yes u can cycle with pure ammonia like freshwater. Not sure of the substrate but I doubt it would work.
Supra
__________________
150g pond koi and comets
125 in wall reef , 55 sump
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
There isn't much benefit to using the "live " sand, you need to cycle the tank the regular way. I mean how long do you think bacteria can sit in a bag on the shelf?
lol
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Yeah lol. Scratch the live sand.

Will coraline (sp?) algae eventually grow on the bare base rock so it blends in with the live Rock?

Can someone name the absolute easiest couple corals to keep so I can do a little research in them a little?
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9
Yeah lol. Scratch the live sand.

Will coraline (sp?) algae eventually grow on the bare base rock so it blends in with the live Rock?

Can someone name the absolute easiest couple corals to keep so I can do a little research in them a little?
Yes it will (coraline question)

Xenia. Mushrooms. Two veryveryvery easy corals,
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to saltwater... Sciko_Scott Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 33 03-06-2012 04:56 PM
How to prep water for top off GodFan Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 28 02-29-2012 12:32 AM
Empty tank. What to add. GodFan Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 51 02-28-2012 10:18 AM
Im looking for an RO unit for under $100. Floods7 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 13 02-27-2012 10:36 PM
new to dwarf gouramis beanz721 Member Introductions 4 02-27-2012 09:57 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.