Looking to get into SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordinho80

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 54 gal corner thank that i have keep African Cichlids in...its not RR or drilled in anyway...

i will be moving my cichlids into a 120 and though about setting up the 54 with SW and have it be my first SW tank.

I wanted to do LR and fish, not so much with Corals just yet as i heard they are much harder then Fish and Rock..

I plan on putting in about 75-100 lbs of LR and using a Fluval 404 canister filter

can a setup like this work? what should i keep in the Fluval? it has 4 media compartments...

thanks...
Mario

WELCOME TO THE SW SIDE!!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

If you go with 1.5-2Lbs of rock per gallon, you could skip the filter. If you already have the filter already, you put LR rubble for better filtration.
To save costs on rock, you can use this Base Rock http://marcorocks.com/ and mix it with LR from your LFS.

I agree that if you do that much rock as Scott mentioned and use a skimmer then you really dont need the filter. I know you`ll like the reef side. If you have any questions just ask.

Yeah, I forgot about the skimmer, thanks for the assist, mel!

i personally don't like my canister filter. it is a pain to clean out and do maintenance on. i say get the extra rock, which it seems you already have plans to do, and then invest the money into a nice skimmer. the skimmers are really easy to clean out the cup, and the rock requires nothing from you. it should be nice though, so send us some pics. welcome to our side!! lol

Back
Top Bottom