Looking to get into the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DayZ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My friend just introduced me to the aquarium hobby and I'd like to go the saltwater route. I'm reading up a ton of things to make sure I'm well prepared. Any tips or tricks of the trade would be awesome! Thanks!

I've had my first 65 gallon saltwater set up for about a month and a half. I had some trouble starting with my first few fish as they would not live for more than a day, but now I've got some chromis doing well.

Okay so first of all, the bigger the tank, the easier to keep the water quality in good parameters.

Secondly, you should cycle your tank using live rock. A good rule is one pound per gallon, but I went a little bit lower at 50 lbs for my 65 because it cost so much money (about $400 dollars, but I got a discount for $350 I believe)

Good fish to start with after cycling would be damsels or chromis, but keep in mind that damsels are very, very aggressive and chromis are peaceful to other fish, but can sometimes pick on each other.

Lastly, a good way to acclimate fish/inverts is a method called drip acclimating.

Awesome advice I plan on getting a 75 gallon tank.

Awesome advice I plan on getting a 75 gallon tank.

That's a great size to start with! I also recommend to change 10% of your water weekly or 20% every two weeks, but weekly is better. Are you planning on having a FOWLER or reef?

I wouldn't recommend damsels, they will be a pain to get out when they start terrorising their tank mates. Look into running a sump - this will be your best method of filtration for that size tank. Best advise for now is do plenty of research, decide whether you want reef or fowler (be prepared to drop some serious cash if you decide to do a reef) and ask plenty of questions here ;)

Thanks Nat and Bectan! Yeah I planned on going 75g after my friend told me the work it'll take to tear down your starter tank and putting up my new larger one, so thought I'd start big lol! I read about sumps, definitely interested in gettin one set up and will probably try for a reef tank hehehe.

You're welcome! I've got a wet/dry sump and it works great. I have no clue about corals so can't help you there ?

Thanks Nat and Bectan! Yeah I planned on going 75g after my friend told me the work it'll take to tear down your starter tank and putting up my new larger one, so thought I'd start big lol! I read about sumps, definitely interested in gettin one set up and will probably try for a reef tank hehehe.

That's the route most people end up going :)

I would go for a refugium over a sump as you'll be able to grow macro algae for nutrient export.

I agree with avoiding damsels as well.

Back
Top Bottom