Looking to start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gold

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just thinking of starting a saltwater tank. This would be my first should I start small with a nano tank or go Slightly larger.

I stared with a 20 gallon, I say start small like a 20 gallon, its easy with the keep up and less expensive. Then once you got the hobby down go bigger. Good luck

superdave07 said:
I stared with a 20 gallon, I say start small like a 20 gallon, its easy with the keep up and less expensive. Then once you got the hobby down go bigger. Good luck

I don't have a lot of money but I think if I am going to start small I would go about 2-5 gallon. Would you Recommend this

Gold said:
I don't have a lot of money but I think if I am going to start small I would go about 2-5 gallon. Would you Recommend this

Ok if you do a 2-5 gallon tank that would be cheap, but you would only be able to add one fish, one fish per 5 gallons is the rule. That would be a stared tank for sure.

Ok if you do a 2-5 gallon tank that would be cheap, but you would only be able to add one fish, one fish per 5 gallons is the rule. That would be a stared tank for sure.

It really depends on the fish. It's really hard to maintain specific gravity and sometimes temperature in a small tank, and you're going to be limited in your selection of fish. The only ones I can think of in a tank that small are going to be something like clown gobies.

I think you would be more successful if you went for a 20 to 30 gallon tank. Look on liveaquaria.com and see if you're even interested in any of the fish suitable in a small tank. Other than that, you could do something with shrimp and / or a porcelain crab.

Ok thanks

I was also considering that once I do start the small tank it would allow me to have a small Quarantine tank for sick fish and new ones before I add to the large tank.

And do you recommend building your own sump and skimmer or purchasing pre made the first time.

Back
Top Bottom