Looking to start out...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodOSoot

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well decieded to take the plunge after my current 29g FW had a lighting accident.

Cat knocked the whole assembly into the water(wasn't wide enough for the tank, jury rigged it) shorted out the exspensive compact bulbs and when I removed it all the metallic corrosion came out from them effectively killing the contents of the tank. No huge loss as it was just setup and finished cycling but had I actually had fish in it ya I be mad at myself.

I currently have various filters at my disposal. I bought a Penquinn 330 and the tank itself came with 2 powerheads totaling over 300gph I believe as well as the UGF they were attached too. Fixed the lighting issue and it had 2 compact flourescent sockets (2 at 20w a piece which I was told equals 100w of actual light per bulb?) I intend to buy 2 new bulbs but need to know what other lighting I should get to suppliment it.

I know corals are definetly out of my grasp with such a small tank but going LRFO(however it goes) should work. I see ebay auctions for live sand and live rock at much cheaper rates then a LFS that is a 1 1/2 hour drive away. I also hear DSB are becoming ever popular so I figured I want a lot of sand so the water stays constant.

Also DI water is just as good as RO water correct? Can you set up the water/lighting/sand/liverock and just let it cycle on it's own then slowly add fish/inverts?

I hear conflicting opinions on the need for a protien skimmer. Thoughts?

I would set up a sump of 20g but if I spill would occur not being my house I be in trouble.

Any advice at all would be great, thanks.

Loose the UGF and stick with LR and a skimmer. I would also stay away from a DSB and just use 1-2" of sand if that it the "look" you want. You can have corals in a 29 but you will need more light and the tank needs some age on it first. Check the articles link at the top of the page for info on cycling your tank correctly.

Back
Top Bottom