Losing purple corraline algea...I think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeker4

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am a week into cycling a 29g FOWLR tank with 3 pieces of LR (about 10-15#s) and 24#s of base rock. I let the base rock sit in salt circulating saltwater for 24hrs and put it in the tank with the LR. Now the purple algea on the LR is turning a goldish/brown color and all of the other rocks are getting the same thing on them. Is this normal or is there a problem I don't know about??? Here are my water readings from yesterday...
Salinity-1.021
ammonia-.25-.50
pH 8.4
NO3 &NO2-0

My thought is that your calcium levels are low. Happened to me in the cycling process of my tank. The algae will come back though.

Don't sweat it. Your parameters are going to be all over the place during your cycle. Once your cycled, test for Ca and Mg. It wil most probably come back. All that's needed is just a small bit to remain and before you know it it will rebound.

Don't sweat it. Your parameters are going to be all over the place during your cycle. Once your cycled, test for Ca and Mg. It wil most probably come back. All that's needed is just a small bit to remain and before you know it it will rebound.

Could not say it any better.

... Now the purple algea on the LR is turning a goldish/brown color and all of the other rocks are getting the same thing on them.

Sounds more like a diatom bloom to me. Is the brown that's covering your rock kind of rust colored and does it brush off the rocks easy? If so, those are just diatoms and are a pretty normal startup annoyance. They'll go away in time.

When coralline dies back, it normally turns white - at least in my tank it did. It can do this a few days/weeks after it's exposed to air for a long period of time... .like what happens frequently when you first aquascape your tank. Given your calcium levels are above 380 or so and you have decent alkalinity (8-12 dkH), it will come back just fine.

Ok, so I got back in town today and I see little white spots on my LR. It appears as if the corraline algea is coming back... Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back
Top Bottom