Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lots of bacteria / water change Q's!

Still no nitrates showing, so, still cycling after a month! Eak. Few questions.

When I water change, I take out the decorations, fake plants etc - is the nitrate bacteria dying whilst it is out of the water for 10 minutes? Also every time I water change I vacum the gravel (just one side at a time), but since I'm doing daily water changes / daily vacums - is that wise? I just figured it was lowering the nitrites by scooping the poop.

Finally, stress zyme. Apparently speeds the process up. Haven't added it yet and figured that since I'm doing daily water changes to keep the nitrite in check, it would have time to work. True or false?

Forgot to add - six neons and three platys.

Answers gratefully received!!

Amandap79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
First, I would recomend you read this article. Cycle your salt tank If possible, I would see if you can return the fish to the LFS where you got them. At least until your tank cycles. It is pretty tough on the fish living in that environment. If you choose to do that, then let the tank cycle on its own and don't do any water changes until it is done. You want bacteria to grow and multiply and do that they need ammonia. But, if you leave the fish in the tank you absolutely need to do daily water changes to keep the ammonia down for the sake of the fish.

Since my tank is a birthday present to my wife, everything I spend going forward is just an extension of my love for her right?
rdnelson99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
what size tank do you have? that many fish would probably produce the ammonia you need to cycle in say a 10g, or maybe a 29g tank, but if you have them in a 55...or a 125? So, that being said don't remove your decorations when WCing. They also grow bacteria on the surface, but really its just too stressful for the fish. Stressed fish become sicker easier, and with the process of cycling, you'll have a lot of poisons going on in there. Finally, in order to determine that you've cycled you'll need a test kit of some kind. Liquid test kits work the best, and API is the cheapest. Also look into getting some seeded filter material from you LFS. Good luck!
See My Tanks Here
I have found the best way to cycle your tank! Want to know how? Pee in it. Build thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-141081-3.html Scientific Reading: Reefkeeping
uh.oh... is offline   Reply With Quote

bacteria, change, cycling, nitrate, water change, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com