Lots of bacteria / water change Q's!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amandap79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Still no nitrates showing, so, still cycling after a month! Eak. Few questions.

When I water change, I take out the decorations, fake plants etc - is the nitrate bacteria dying whilst it is out of the water for 10 minutes? Also every time I water change I vacum the gravel (just one side at a time), but since I'm doing daily water changes / daily vacums - is that wise? I just figured it was lowering the nitrites by scooping the poop.

Finally, stress zyme. Apparently speeds the process up. Haven't added it yet and figured that since I'm doing daily water changes to keep the nitrite in check, it would have time to work. True or false?

Forgot to add - six neons and three platys.

Answers gratefully received!!

Amanda

First, I would recomend you read this article. Cycle your salt tank If possible, I would see if you can return the fish to the LFS where you got them. At least until your tank cycles. It is pretty tough on the fish living in that environment. If you choose to do that, then let the tank cycle on its own and don't do any water changes until it is done. You want bacteria to grow and multiply and do that they need ammonia. But, if you leave the fish in the tank you absolutely need to do daily water changes to keep the ammonia down for the sake of the fish.

what size tank do you have? that many fish would probably produce the ammonia you need to cycle in say a 10g, or maybe a 29g tank, but if you have them in a 55...or a 125? So, that being said don't remove your decorations when WCing. They also grow bacteria on the surface, but really its just too stressful for the fish. Stressed fish become sicker easier, and with the process of cycling, you'll have a lot of poisons going on in there. Finally, in order to determine that you've cycled you'll need a test kit of some kind. Liquid test kits work the best, and API is the cheapest. Also look into getting some seeded filter material from you LFS. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom