Lots of newbie questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep it in. Want ammonia to reach at least 4 ppm.

Like she said, keep it in. As a general rule, the tank is considered completely cycled when you can have ammonia go from 4 to 0 in one day. So, some people will actually dose the tank to 4 ppm when they think it is done, and then see how fast it drops. I admit, I'm a bit lazy for that. I add a bunch of a rock, a piece of shrimp, and a bottle of bacteria, and see how it's doing a week later.

So once it's 4ppm should I remove it? I don't know if it already hit there and is coming down now seeing as how I have nitrites and nitrates.

If it goes down more, then might want to take it out. Different stages of the bacteria develops at different times. You might see nitrite and nitrate before the ammonia has reached 0 (which is what's happening).

I'd leave it in until either ammonia spikes AND drops to 0, or just until it's gone. Worms and pods in the live rock will eat it eventually. I never removed mine. I let the bugs and worms and whatnot eat it all.

All the rock I added was dry. It was live at one point and covered in dry algae but had been sitting in an empty bucket in a friends basement for several months. So I guess it counts as base rock? Same with the live sand. I got it second hand and dry (though never used. It was someone's leftovers). So would there be die off on these things? And does that mean I won't have any hitchhikers? The dry algae is now submerged in my tank. Despite it being dead will my eventual CUC still clean it up?

Bump. It's been about 3 days since I've checked the salinity or topped off. It measured at 1.025 3 days ago and today it was 1.031. Is it normal for it to rise that fast?

Are you topping it off with water or saltwater? IMO, the salinity should not be jumping up unless the water is evaporating (which it will). Adding fresh water should dilute it a bit and bring it back down. Once you get salinity correct, it is just a matter of topping it off with fresh water(preferably RODI ). Water evaporates, salt stays in there.

NicoleIsStoked said:
Hmm. Is there a formula to calculate gallons evaporated into rise in salinity?

Itd be dif depending on tank volume gallon evaporating from 55g salinity would rise alot more than gallon evaporating from 150g

Oh, I'm sure there is. But I find it easier to just top off at least once a week, with my "after top off" SG being a little on the low side. Say, 1.022 or so. That way, as it evaporates, it remains inside the acceptable zone longer.

MacDracor said:
Oh, I'm sure there is. But I find it easier to just top off at least once a week, with my "after top off" SG being a little on the low side. Say, 1.022 or so. That way, as it evaporates, it remains inside the acceptable zone longer.

Oh wow. Is that safe? That sounds super easy. But I was under the impression that it needs to stay bang on in the 1.024-1.025 range. If it can safely range between say 1.022-1.028 then that's easy!

NicoleIsStoked said:
Oh wow. Is that safe? That sounds super easy. But I was under the impression that it needs to stay bang on in the 1.024-1.025 range. If it can safely range between say 1.022-1.028 then that's easy!

Imo id try to keep fluctuations down as much as possible less stress on fish and or coral

Dan is right. I'm a little lazy. Fluctuations between 1.022 and 1.028 are a bit much, but I rarely go past 1.026, usually keeping ot between 1.022 and 1.025, which is perfectly safe. Very few creatures will notice that difference, though there are some that really are that sensitive.

Don't suggest an emerald crab as I've seen a lot of "horror stories" of them picking at coral and killing small slow fish/inverts even though they are considered reef safe. Unless you have a bubble algae problem you should consider one, but even then, some don't eat the bubble algae! They are what "opportunistic feeders"..when given the chance to get a meal, they just might do that.

obscurereef said:
Don't suggest an emerald crab as I've seen a lot of "horror stories" of them picking at coral and killing small slow fish/inverts even though they are considered reef safe. Unless you have a bubble algae problem you should consider one, but even then, some don't eat the bubble algae! They are what "opportunistic feeders"..when given the chance to get a meal, they just might do that.

+1 no emerald i witnessed mine catching a gobie

I've ranted about emeralds many times. Lol.
As a side note, my foxface eats bubble algae far better than any emerald I've ever had.

Back
Top Bottom