Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have the full support of AA! Don't let a slight crack get in the way of having an awesome set up!! Just leak test the 60 gallon for 3 days, sell/trade/keep the 50, silicon it and it should be good as new. I had a tremendous amount of set-backs, from ruining my stand to messing up my sump, and everything in between! I tried putting it off and blocking out the failure, but eventually I picked myself up and got it done and you'll feel so accomplished afterwards! Don't give up, pursue this dream of yours.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #112
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's not the biggest issue. I bought the 50 brand new from Petsmart so I can bring it back and exchange it today but these tanks are so heavy for me to lift. They barely fit in my car and I have like 6 steps in the front of my house. It's just very frustrating. I wanted to be well on my way into the cycle by now and all I have is a couple massive empty tanks on the floor in my hallway which I can't even move.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleIsStoked
That's not the biggest issue. I bought the 50 brand new from Petsmart so I can bring it back and exchange it today but these tanks are so heavy for me to lift. They barely fit in my car and I have like 6 steps in the front of my house. It's just very frustrating. I wanted to be well on my way into the cycle by now and all I have is a couple massive empty tanks on the floor in my hallway which I can't even move.
Take a deep breath, you'll get there. I've got a 125 on my lanai that I can't do anything with due to funds. So, I sit here looking at my 55 just thinking about a 125 with a black background with black sand, etc. and wonder if I'm ever going to get there....
Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleIsStoked View Post
What is the difference between sea salt and reef crystals?
I don't think anyone has answered this yet so I'll take a crack at it and I'm assuming you're referring to Instant ocean salt mixes.
If you're just doing fish only, use the Sea Salt. If you're going to be doing corals, go with the Reef Crystals. The Reef Crystals has more additives, higher calcium content, etc and is made for Reefs.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

Call up one of your friends and say "hey, can you come and help me with my soon to be reef obsession? I would really appreciate if you could help me lift some tanks, etc. as I am discouraged. I'll let you pick out a fish/coral when it's ready if you want!" Okay...maybe not exactly like that...but you get the point!

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post
Call up one of your friends and say "hey, can you come and help me with my soon to be reef obsession? I would really appreciate if you could help me lift some tanks, etc. as I am discouraged. I'll let you pick out a fish/coral when it's ready if you want!" Okay...maybe not exactly like that...but you get the point!
A six pack has a tendency to motive people to help too.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe I speak for the majority of the male population when I say that batting eyelashes is an unfair weapon. We have no defense. When the promise of beer and/or pizza is included, we don't even mind the unfair advantage you feminine types have.
No rule says you can only have a tank that you can lift alone!
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor View Post
I believe I speak for the majority of the male population when I say that batting eyelashes is an unfair weapon. We have no defense. When the promise of beer and/or pizza is included, we don't even mind the unfair advantage you feminine types have.
No rule says you can only have a tank that you can lift alone!
So funny how you said that in a scientific type of way...like "according to my calculations." You definitely have a fair argument right there.

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #119
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for all the help guys. After closer inspection the 50 is not cracked. It's actually just a string of silicone branching out from the corner. I think I have someone coming to buy the 60 too. Hopefully. I picked up reef crystals instead of sea salt because I got a better deal on it. Is that okay? I may wind up doing corals down the road anyways. Never know. Tomorrow I will be hunting for a background and filling up the tank.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I touched on reef crystals earlier. They just contain trace elements that inverts need. More natural conditions IMHO.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com