Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #161
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, just add some fresh unsalted water to your tank for next couple days' topoffs and you should be fine salinity-wise.

As for the rocks, I would stack them some, as suggested by prior poster. Fish like places to hide to make them feel safe. Try stacking and making some caves and crevice for them to swim through and hide in.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #162
Aquarium Advice Freak

How severe are salinity jumps when there's fish in the tank? For example if I have it at 1.025 and it jumps to 1.027 will that kill my fish or is that no big deal? I'm considering making a mark inside my tank at the water line once I get to 1.025 so I know where to top it off to every day and so I can gauge how much has evaporated. Would a small piece of green painters tape on interior of the black trim be okay?

Old 10-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #163
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the fish is hardy like a chromis or clownfish it should be fine. A jump from 1.023 to 1.028 would be disastrous though if you had life in there.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #164
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just mix water at least day ahead in bucket, throw in a heater, PH and then before you add it, check the salinity. I use instant ocean salt, and 2 1/2 cups per 5gal bucket water gives me 1.025.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #165
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to admit guys, that adding up all my expenses so far and not even having fish, I'm starting to have second thoughts. For this 50 gallon build what should I expect to have layout money wise so far? And if I was to sell it all as is right now how much should I ask?
Brand new 50 gal tank
Stand
2 AC110s w/ media
Bucket of salt
Live sand
Rock
Hood w/lights
Eheim jäger heater
Circulation pump
Old 10-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #166
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleIsStoked
I have to admit guys, that adding up all my expenses so far and not even having fish, I'm starting to have second thoughts. For this 50 gallon build what should I expect to have layout money wise so far? And if I was to sell it all as is right now how much should I ask?
Brand new 50 gal tank
Stand
2 AC110s w/ media
Bucket of salt
Live sand
Rock
Hood w/lights
Eheim jäger heater
Circulation pump
There no doubt about it, SW is expensive. But if you already have all that stuff, why would you sell it now? If you sell it now, you'll definitely lose money. All you need is some test kits and fish!! You're almost to the fun part! The start up is the most expensive part. Once the cycle finishes, it's fish time!!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #167
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm just super stressed that this is all going to end in disaster and disappointment. I've spent about $300 so far :/
Old 10-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #168
Aquarium Advice Addict

Youll lose prob. half of your money even if it's new. People just rather buy things new then pay a similar price for something lightly used and not so trustworthy. The startup like BeenGirl said is expensive, but adding a fish every couple weeks when the tank is cycled isn't too much money or maintenance.

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #169
Aquarium Advice Addict

$300 sounds like a bargain! That's how much I spent on my protein skimmer alone! Some people go all out and spend thousands...on youtube, newyorksteelo said he spent $20,000 on his 90 gallon! If you take the proper steps, you'll be just great. Yes you might have some losses, but that's all part of the experience. With anything, you shouldn't just give up because you thought you couldn't do it. Don't worry too much, don't rush, and just have fun and enjoy the product of your hard work!

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #170
Aquarium Advice Activist

300....I spent that the 1st day i got back into this hobby 3 months ago.. NOw im up to 1100 and i still need some live and base rock sand and salt.. Theres another 300 at least im sure..Funny thing is half the stuff i got used on ebay /craigslist.. So keep you check book out..

Ive been doing so much research on tanks, sumps, lights, Protein skimmers ect, I have no idea what im getting for fish. i need a break already and i dont even have fish yet..lol

Tags
newbie, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com