Lots of newbie questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NicoleIsStoked said:
My tank is 50 gal. No sump. I'll do a water change tonight.

Jmo get trates down a bit then add fish if you added fish now pwc will be hard to get trates down because fish will obviously add ammonia which will convert to nitrate making it even harder imo do 50% waterchange that should cut trates in half then add fish feed sparingly at first also a nitrate reactor might be a good idea since you dont have fugi

Ok guys. Tomorrows the day. I just want to confirm that hermit crabs won't harm my fish the way emeralds would, right? When I go to the lfs should I ask them to feed the clowns in front of me? Is that necessary? And if they're both small can they be the same size or should I try to get one bigger than the other? Small ocells are on special for $8.99 woot woot!

Yeah I would have them feed them in front of you but that's cheap for the clown fish cause where I live they are $20.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse me while I play catchup. Largely without Internet right now.
Wrasse is one syllable, pronounced much like the alternate word for a donkey.
I have a six lined wrasse and he has never touched a bristle work to my knowledge. But please please please keep in mind that bristle worms are GOOD. Not just that, they're grrrreeat!! The single most beneficial organism you can have in your tank other than bacteria. They are the most efficient members of your cleanup crew. They may not be as pretty as an electric blue legged hermit crab but they are far more useful. You just have to take the time to appreciate their unique beauty. Don't think of them as worms, think of them as fuzzy caterpillars of the ocean. And learn to love them!
Two clowns and a bunch of inverts should be fine. Most hermits you find are safe. Avoid the giant ones for obvious reasons.
With clowns, always "try" to get one larger than the other. Best bet is to get the largest and the smallest in a tank.

Alright guys. So I picked up 2 nemos and 4 baby blue leg scavenging hermits all of which are currently drip acclimating. Fish and crabs in separate buckets. I planning on allowing them to drip for about an hour. Is that enough?
I wanna thank macdracor, beengirl, obscurereef and everyone else for all there help along the way. It's been a crazy two months and its only thanks to all you guys that I'm actually at this point now. Thanks guys!

Alright so I netted everyone any put them in the tank but then realized that despite doing a quick drip the tank water is a little warmer than the water in the bucket. I think I probably should have re-temp matched them in a bag. Hopefully everyone will be okay.

You're welcome for the help- that's why we're here!! ;) you could repay us be posting some pics of your new babies!! Lol.

The hermit crabs I got are super tiny. Like each one is the size of the nail on my first finger. Or smaller. I paid 2 for $2.99. Did I get ripped off?
Another lfs has bicolor angelfish on special for $14.99 until tomorrow. Should i go for it, or is it too soon?

Attachments

• image-3209962566.jpg
    image-3209962566.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 141
  • image-1599509964.jpg
    image-1599509964.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3164251526.jpg
    image-3164251526.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 140
Happy to help!
That price sounds slightly high for two hermits, but still fair. Keep in mind that "ripped off" is very relative. I wouldn't pay 3 for 2 here, but that might the the best price locally for you. Personally, I'd wait a few more days before adding another fish. Maybe they'll hold it for you at that price?

Just got back from a different lfs than last time. A privately owned place this time. Scored a foxface and 2 fire shrimp all for $53. Don't know how that compares to price over in the states but here that's a crazy deal. $18 for the foxface and $35 for the two shrimp. Currently drip acclimating them!

I named him Barry. He seems to be accepting flake food but has no interest in lettuce.

Attachments

• image-1595824756.jpg
    image-1595824756.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 137
  • image-453500579.jpg
    image-453500579.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 128
  • image-2295847387.jpg
    image-2295847387.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 115
  • image-4221291064.jpg
    image-4221291064.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 128
This algae is growing on my sand. What is it? Does it matter? I'm starting to notice some pinky purpley stuff on my rock. How do I know if its coralline or cyno?
Do I have to provide extra shells to my hermit crabs to migrate to?

Attachments

• image-3422780331.jpg
    image-3422780331.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 129
Looks like diatoms to me. Normal for new tanks. Your foxface looks happy. :) He's got beautiful color to him. Yes, you need to supply shells in various sizes bigger than your hermits current shells so that they can move when they molt and get too big for current shell.

Coralline vs cyano is very easy. Coralline is hard. Cyano is a thin film easily removed by water current (turkey baster) or abrasion (toothbrush) and can be siphoned out.
My foxface loves nori sheets and caleurpa. He eats grape caleurpa like a kid slurping spaghetti. Lettuce has next to no nutritional value apart from ruffage.

Back
Top Bottom