Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #201
Aquarium Advice Freak

Seeing as how my tank is 4 feet long, could I pull off a foxface? Same footprint as a 60 but 4" shorter.
If so my proposed stock list:
Ocellaris clownfish x 2
One spot foxface
Fire shrimp x 2
Astraea spiny star snails x 5
Coral beauty angelfish
Royal gramma basslet
Firefish goby
Dwarf red tip hermit crab x 2
Red and Black Sea star
Nassarius snail x 8

Any objections/suggestions/recommendations?

What further would be involved if I wanted an anemone or feather duster? Do I need special lighting?

Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #202
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I mentioned this before, but my foxface is quite happy in a 55. I would consider a four foot tank to be bare minimum for them though. I don't know much about red and black sea stars though.
Anemones require high lighting. Feather dusters seem to be pretty easy, as long as the water isn't TOO clean. They need particulate food of very specific sizes and you're more likely to have this by accident than on purpose. My two have done quite well, but I hear many people have a hard time with them. Sea stars, anemones, etc should be added later after everything is stable and you're comfortable with maintenance routines.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #203
Aquarium Advice Freak

I read somewhere that a foxface is venomous. How does this affect things? And can someone give me info on Mandarin gobies? I went to the lfs yesterday and they are SO cute.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #204
Aquarium Advice Addict

Foxface themselves are pretty timid and shy, but the spiky dorsal fins do have venom on them, that way if something tries to eat them, that fish gets spiked with the venomous fins. They're cool fish.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #205
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a defense mechanism so try not to touch them while doing a water change or having your hands in the tank. It is said to be like a bee sting. Mandarins or any other dragonet eat specifically tiny pods and such on live rock. Kind of like seahorses in the way that they constantly eat and need to be fed many times during the day if they eat frozen food. I'd recommend trying to find one trained to eat frozen food b/c most die when they run out of their food supply. They can eat 2,000 copepods a day! So imagine how many you would need to keep this guy alive, more than would sustain him/her for a long period of time. You could spend lots of money on pods then train it to eat frozen food, or let the population of pods grow then train them on frozen food.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor View Post
I've ranted about emeralds many times. Lol.
As a side note, my foxface eats bubble algae far better than any emerald I've ever had.
Not to get too off topic here, but if they ate bubble algae wouldn't they eat bubble coral or coral that look similar? I ask b/c I want one, but have heard about how they eat coral and I don't want to be missing chunks in valuable animals.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #207
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleIsStoked View Post
I read somewhere that a foxface is venomous. How does this affect things? And can someone give me info on Mandarin gobies? I went to the lfs yesterday and they are SO cute.
On a Foxface Lo the spines are were the toxin is, as long as nothing nips at them. If you want a Mandarin wait 9+ months because of the food they eat. Most Mandarins will only eat live food, they eat copepods and isopods. Some people have had luck "training" them on live food but it's hit or miss.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seems this'll mostly be a recap, since the questions have been fairly thoroughly answered, but I'd like to toss in my two cents.
Foxfaces, like all rabbitfish, have hollow spines in the dorsal and ventral fins, and can inject a powerful venom. The venom is a heat labile protein, which means heat will break it down. I've heard it is extremely painful, but then I've never been stung, and he's even brushed my arm with spines extended. I even pet his nose once while feeding him. As with any puncture occurring in a marine environment, heat, then doctor for antibiotics and tetanus. This is an extremely rare occurrence. Google it, and you'll have trouble finding stories of anyone being stung by a rabbitfish. They're just too timid.
The mandarin dragonet (not a goby. Who started that? Seriously! lol) is an extremely difficult fish to care for. There are some wonderful threads on this site, and articles all over, but the short version is that this fish is best left on the reef unless you are willing to pour a lot of time, effort, and money into feeding it. Sucks because they're so beautiful!
And to ObscureReef's question: Bubble algae doesn't really look like bubble coral. The foxfaces just graze all day on anything green they can find, but mine has never shown any interest at all in my corals, and I have soft, LPS, and even some montis. Like most marine herbivores, they turn to meat when very hungry, but seem to be less inclined than most to do so. Mine LOVES caleurpa. I mean, it's like giving spaghetti to a starving child. He practically slurps it down! Chew, stupid fish, chew!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #209
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for all the info. You guys are the best. The guy at my lfs called the mandarin a goby. I was confused because I think it looks more like a frog that a goby. How do you know when you have copepods?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #210
Aquarium Advice Addict

People have been calling them gobies for years, but they're not gobies. Drives me batty, and I'm already pretty batty.
You almost definitely have pods, if you used any live rock at all. BUT...
The Mandarins will eat a copepod about every 3-5 seconds in the wild. So, let's do the math.
1 every 5 seconds is 12 per minute. That's 720 per hour. If you have a 10 hour day, that's 7,200 copepods per day. In a 50 gallon tank, that is incredibly difficult to maintain. Even with a large refugium that was crawling with pods and other appropriately sized foods, they are very difficult to sustain.

Tags
newbie, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com