Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It depends what kind of fish if you have fish that tend to stay at the bottom sinking pellets would work for the clowns as for the tang as clowns I would use flakes its what I used and It works the best.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict

Algae control - Lawnmower blennies are gret fish provided the tank is large and has sufficient algae growth. They will still need meaty items to eat though. if you had several large (at least 5-6 inch diameter) patches of bryopsis or similar algae, they would be a good addition. But too many starve because they are bought to control small bits of growth. They simply mow down the tall stuff, so there needs to be a lot. But like many blennies and dragonets, they also need a near constant supply of small food items. I'd call that a "maybe down the road" fish. But, I have heard wonderful things about the sea hares! And there is a blue and black one that is gorgeous!

Freshwater dip - Useful with many fish, but hardly a requirement. Also tricky. You have to carefully match temperature and ph. Don't do this unless you have read up a lot and are confident you can do it properly, or it'll cause more stress.

Glue - Once water is in the tank, silicone can no loner be used, as it secretes acetic acid (vinegar) while curing. Any good LFS should have or be able to order an aquarium safe epoxy. Superglue is also safe to use with animals in the water.

Food - Both and more! Marine animals are used to having variety in their diets. I recommend Formula 1 and 2. Get ones as flake, one as pellets. Also, while feeding those daily, every few days treat them with about 1/4 cube of frozen Marine Cuisine. This stuff gets pricey in the long term, so for about $30, I made a year's worth of food. My ex girlfriend asked what I wanted her food processor for, and about two sentences into the explanation, she said "You know what, don't tell me. Just clean it before you return it, please."
I could have made the food cheaper, but I bought all my seafood from a pretty high end market. Those darn fish eat better than I do!
Also, for the foxface or any other herbivore, sheets of nori. You can buy this at the pet store in convenient small pieces for a "just for your pets!" premium price, or go to an asian market and buy it in large sheets far cheaper. Just be SURE to get unsalted, unseasoned. Have marine based algae products available for herbivores at all times so they can graze.

Good luck! This is where it starts getting really fun!!!

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

The blue and black slug (the blue velvet slug I believe is the name) is incredibly hard to keep as they usually only feed on problematic flatworms and when there are no more, then well it starves. Too bad as they are beautiful! +1 for the asian market providing us with food for our fish! It would be more expensive to buy them at a regular grocery store (if you can find some of the stuff) or fish stores.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ack, I got two slugs confused! I meant the dwarf sea hare, not the blue velvet nudibranch!
Here's a link to the one I meant. Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Sea Hare Sea Slug
Old 09-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh haha that makes more sense! That was the sea slug I was thinking of that would help out with hair algae. The lettuce sea slug would be an awesome addition. The fact that is uses photosynthesis for some of its energy is incredible! I NEED to research these guys more . They seem harder to keep though...even if I never got one, I'd still like to know all about this slug! Sorry for getting kind of off topic...they eat algae, but probably wouldn't be the best recommendation for that.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, the lettuce nudibranch is an obligate bryopsis eater. Which means that onc ethey have (and they will) clear away every trace of bryopsis, they'll starve no matter what other algae is present. And while they do incorporate chloroplasts into their skin, I've seen no definitive research proving they are able to gain any substantial nutrition from it. Would be cool if they did. Photosynthetic like a coral, but motile! If I had a SUBSTANTIALLY larger tank, I'd get one. But I'd feel guilty in anything smaller than a 150. They'll breed, eat, and starve.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #87
Aquarium Advice Freak

Regular old dollar store superglue is safe? There's no water in the tank right now and the chip is on the outside but if it's safe then I can save money on aquarium silicone. I'm still working on painting my background (ugh what a mess) but tonight I bought a bucket of salt, a powerhead, fish food, filter media, a hydrometer, and light bulb (which doesn't seem to work). Once I finish (or trash) the painting I will fill it up, get some shrimp and start cycling!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleIsStoked
Regular old dollar store superglue is safe? There's no water in the tank right now and the chip is on the outside but if it's safe then I can save money on aquarium silicone. I'm still working on painting my background (ugh what a mess) but tonight I bought a bucket of salt, a powerhead, fish food, filter media, a hydrometer, and light bulb (which doesn't seem to work). Once I finish (or trash) the painting I will fill it up, get some shrimp and start cycling!
I use superglue gel ive used many different brands with no adverse affects
Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Superglue, Superglue Gel, Crazy Glue, Cyanoacrylate Adhesive, etc. all good. I'm cautious of "Superglue Quick Dry Formula" or pretty much anything with active ingredients other than cyanoacrylate.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleIsStoked

Isnt that toxic?
Not for the outside of a tank.

Tags
newbie, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com