Lots of newbie questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For most uses, yes. Though the clever use of powerheads can create specific current types that circulation pumps cannot. I prefer circulation pumps, personally.

I can't say for sure, having only ever bought reef salt before, but I would guess that a product marketed as only sea salt would be pretty much that. Just sea salt. Those marketed for reefs contain sea salt, calcium, magnesium, yadda yadda yadda. All the trace elements needed by various corals and invertebrates.

Ooh ooh, I know this one!
Live Rock can be either collected wild or aquacultured. Either way, it is shipped in bags with little to no water, and often ends up with a substantial portion of the living matter dying off. So when it is first put in a tank, it is "uncured". Once in a tank, the dying/dead matter decomposes and releases ammonia, yadda yadda nitrogen cycle yadda yadda. Once that is finished though, the remaining living matter grows and recolonizes the rest of the rock, and that is considered the curing process. So, once that is complete, it is cured.
So, in a nutshell, cured live rock should not contribute to nitrogenous wastes or impede the cycle. Uncured live rock can create a mini cycle and possibly contribute to livestock death.

But adding dry base rock to a tank with livestock in it is safe right? The same thing with live rock that's been living in an established tank?

Correct. If it's from an established tank and not out of the water for longer than say, a few hours, it should be fine. Dry rock has nothing to die off, so it's safe as well.

If you add dry base rock to a tank with livestock, it will be fine. Rinse it really well in RO water and maybe give it a quick scrub to get some of the dust/loose stuff off. It will become live in time.

Moving live rock from tank to tank can be a little more tricky. A lot of times LR has dead matter on it, stuck in crevices/holes/etc. When you go in and take it out and dunk it in another tank, you can release a lot of that stuff and cause an ammonia spike. LR from one tank can also have algae spores, hydroids, flatworms and all sorts of other things you may not want to spread around. You should always rinse and scrub when moving rock and still pay very close attention to your levels. Scary stuff aside, if you take proper precautions, LR is fine to move from tank to tank.

What Jimbo said. I was speaking only in terms of cured/uncured. He gave a much more thorough answer. Clearly I need more coffee.

I like the discussion. Can I add a question on to it? I understand the curing process but where would you get uncured rock from (mail order, fishstore)? Wouldn't a fish store close by have cured live rock if it is in saltwater being circulated and filtered? I guess I am asking the dumb question of when do you have to cure rock? My understanding is to cure for sure when it is shipped to you and is in transit a good amount of time.

additionally, Do you have to cure all live rock bought at the store (speaking to bulk purchases after initial setup) regardless of where it was kept, ie in circulated tub or in the lfs's refugium? Sorry if I am hijacking the thread but it is a question I think worth answering for both of us.

You're not hijacking the thread! It's all good.
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I am currently in the process of cleaning the tank and prepping to paint the back and I came across a chip in the glass. I've attached a pic. Its on the outside of the corner. I'm suddenly really concerned. The guy I bought it from filled it up for me and sent pics. He said in the several days it was filled there were no leaks. Should I just fill the nook with some silicone and forget about it or should I be worried?

Attachments

• image-1655641060.jpg
    image-1655641060.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 80
Excellent questions both of you.
Curing: Rock can be considered cured when it has been in a tank for at least a week with no rise in either ammonia or nitrite. Caveat: a small uncured rock in a large cycled tank may not cause a spike because of the volume and availability of bacteria associated. So, the safest course of action is to assume it is uncured. Adding any live rock to an established tank is a gamble. But I've never personally had a problem doing so, personally.

Chipped glass: both my 55 display tank and it's 29 gallon sump have chips. Neither chips extend into the silicone seal. If yours does... Again, it's a gamble. Best bet is a leak test. Fill it in a place you don't mind getting wet. Patios work well. Note that saltwater is heavier than fresh, so I'd over salt it for the leak test if you are really worried. Cold water is also denser. Odds are, it's fine. But imagine the mess avoided by a failed leak test outside!

Last edited:
Haven't seen it but for the rock you need just about double the gallons in the tank for LR do just go out and buy about 100-120 pounds and I know your on a budget but this one you should try to pay or the best you can get because this is the basis of the tank filtration of nitrates so I'm guessing it will be around $150-200 range it's a little expensive but it helps the tank a lot! As for the tang it's possible but don't add him until your clownfish and any other are in the tank so the tang isn't as aggressive. But it's up to you I would not think of putting a tang in a tank under 100 gal. If would suggest that you get the following. A dwarf angle fish ( one of my favorites very very colorful) 2 clowns ( really easy to care for) and if you start to notice hair algae which is probably always no matter what is going to get into our tank for that I suggest on of the three a law mower blenny ( although sometimes you can get one that doesn't eat it at all) a sea hare (slug) haven't tried this one yet but I hear they are the elephants of the sea the eat and s$@t a ton and will eat all the hair algae until there is no food left and if it doesn't grow back then it will die :( also a emerald crab again 50 50 it will eat the algae again hope I helped!

NicoleIsStoked said:
You're not hijacking the thread! It's all good.
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I am currently in the process of cleaning the tank and prepping to paint the back and I came across a chip in the glass. I've attached a pic. Its on the outside of the corner. I'm suddenly really concerned. The guy I bought it from filled it up for me and sent pics. He said in the several days it was filled there were no leaks. Should I just fill the nook with some silicone and forget about it or should I be worried?

You might want to use epoxy instead of silicone

NicoleIsStoked said:
I read somewhere about doing a freshwater dip on fish before putting them in the tank. Opinions?

Usually people do this to remove any parasites that might reside on the fish. I don't do it, but then again I don't quarantine fish for 4 weeks before placing them in my tank.

Some are not silicone is use able but not while there is water in the tank, so defeats the silicone. I use a putty called aqua-putty and it is exactly like mighty putty no toxins or anything just smash it together and it will harden when it's put in water very useful

Back
Top Bottom