Lots of water changing questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Veggiegirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gal tank and i was recently told that i needed to do a water change because i've had it set up for a few weeks and some algae is starting to grow in it. I've never changed the water before so i really don't know what i need to be doing. The salinity is a little high now so i'm afraid that if i take out some of the water and add more saltwater i'm going to mess up something. Should i even be using saltwater? Or do i take some water out and add RO water back? Also, how much water should i be taking out each time i change it and how often should i do this? Thanks

Do you hvae any fish in the tank? What is the SG?

When you top off your tank every day or so, you should always be adding freshwater, as the salt in the water won't evaporate. Adding saltwater would continually increase your salinity.

I do monthly water changes of about 20-30% in my SW tank. Algae could also come from a number of sources. Too much light, high phosphates or nitrates.

Also, what color algae is it? Are you still cycling your tank? If it's diatoms (brown algae) and you have nothing in your tank yet, just let nature run it's course and leave the algae there. It will go away as soon as your cycle catches up, and they are quite common in all new tanks.

i've had it set up for a few weeks and some algae is starting to grow in it
WC won't help that generally...test your water source for po4.
Should i even be using saltwater
The only time you should add FW is to replace the evaporated water from your tank. Remember, salt doesn't evaporate-just the water. Replacing the water that evaporates daily will help keep salinity in line.
Also, how much water should i be taking out each time i change it and how often should i do this?
15-25% of the tanks total volume is recommended every 2-4weeks. HTH

I have the same thing going on... my tank finished cycling and I've got this brown algae growing. I am going to do a water change tomorrow and turn out the lights for a couple days to see if it helps. Here's some pics of the brown stuff growing on the sand and rocks:

Attachments

• brownliverock_207.jpg
    brownliverock_207.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 97
  • maxi-jet_150.jpg
    maxi-jet_150.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 164
Keep in mind, it is not unusual for a new tank to go through various algae blooms until things get settled(about 2-4 months typically). If you are not using ro/di water you may just be adding fuel for the algae w/ every water change(po4, etc.). By the way dwish, having prices in your sig-that's just wrong! Most of us would rather not be reminded LOL-29 bucks for a clown fish?? Ouch!.

I am going to do a water change tomorrow and turn out the lights for a couple days to see if it helps. Here's some pics of the brown stuff growing on the sand and rocks:

Brown algae will have nothing to do with your lights. It's a collection of bacteria, which aren't being eaten away by your nitrifying bacteria. Are you sure your tank is done cycling? If it was done completely, you shouldn't have any diatoms...or maybe just a little.

When you test the water, what does it read?

Back
Top Bottom