Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lotz of Hair!

hello,
i just got my new 125watt 14.000k Hqi light bulb thinking that may have been my problem with my hairalage growing in my tank. i dont belive it was that. my hairalage is now growing faster and faster. i have changed the water 2 times 10% PWC and cut my feeding back to 3 times per week. i do not run carbon in my tank should i buy a small pouch of it and see if that helps? what can i do to get rid of this stuff? should i take the rock out and give them a good hard scrub? if so. what should i use and how should i do it?
thanks so much

Old 09-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's called...get some more reef hermits and cerith snails...lol. Look around to see if you have any bubble algae...I'm curious to know. When bubble algae breaks open, it releases spores that grow into hair algae. If bubble algae is present, then get some emerald crabs too.

What are the water parameters? Please list the basic ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, but do also check phosphate levels.

If you are going to run carbon in a reef tank, use reef grade (Kent Marine has) and filter the tank with it for a week once a month. It's not advised to use carbon in a reef 24/7, because it absorbs important trace minerals. A week once a month seems to be effective without robbing the tank of what it needs.

How many hours of light per day is the tank exposed to? Do you have a set of actinics?

The strength of lights and the length of time the system is exposed to light does contribute to algae growth. A typical cycle for a reef is 10 to 12 hours of total light. Having a set of actinics on an independent switch can help cut back on up to four hours of the day cycle by replicating a two hour sunrise and a two hour sunset (on by themselves without the daylights). This only leaves 6 to 8 hours for full daylight rather than 10 to 12, thus less light to contribute to algae growth.

Where is your tank located? Is it near a window? Is there any light that glares on the tank from sunlight (including indirect sunlight)? You may want to try and block off some of the sunlight that beams into the tank.

Scrubbing rocks should be a last resort and best to avoid doing so if possible. This will certainly disrupt the bio filtration. If push comes to shove and the tank is hurting from the algae growth, then take steps to protect the fish and inverts from ammonia spikes....even if it means setting up temporary housing in a spare tank for a couple of weeks until the system re-establishes a cycle.

Also note: water changes also promotes algae growth!! This is because of any phosphates in the water, nitrates in the system and the source of water and also silicates...so don't be too quick with the PWC. Stick to a simple basic schedule to maintain the water. 10% once a week is sufficient so long as you don't overfeed or overcrowd and nitrates are controlled.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Here are 10 good steps to getting rid on nuisance algea.

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/...d=11&item_id=5

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks,
all water Stats are good
the nitrates are about 5ppms. and everything else is at 0ppms.

as for my lighting? i have a sunpac 150wattt HQI light.
it does not have any other type of light except 6 moon lights.

as for hermits and snails? i have alot of baby snails but i dont have as many hermits.

as for how many hrs a day do i have lighting on.. its on from 10-8pm i can cut that back slowly to mabey 9hrs.

just a little info..
all the coral in my tank is looking great. the toadstool mushroom i have is growing so big its getting to large for the tank it self.
my clam is doing nice. at least i belive so. i have so many mushrooms and ployps everywhere. i also have a plusing exzina thats doing very good also.

as for fish
i have 1 O.Clown
1 Six line walrus

is this ok or should i do somthing different?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
did you check for phosphates? what kind of water do you use for pwc and top off? RO/DI or tap?

You might want a couple more hermits to eat it.

And you mean sixline wrasse right?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
ANY nitrates are fuel for nuisance algae. Your 10% water changes are not anywhere near enough to do any good. Do a few substantial water changes of about 25% with RO/DI water.

You can cut that lighting back to about 5 hours a day with no harm to the corals. Carbon is not going to do anything to fix an algae problem.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

5ppm on the nitrates is good. Enough for the coral and plants to eat without compromising their health with too much. The clam is good for a hand in managing that low nitrate level.

Do test for phosphates. Sometimes, it could end up being the primary source for excessive algae growth.

It would be beneficial for the entire system to get a set of actinics to similate dusk and dawn as well as helping to cut back on full daylight time. Six moon lights? How big is your tank? That must look awesome!! I love moonlights.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
Old 09-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
5ppm on the nitrates is good
It is acceptable if your tank is not having issues. If it is already having issues, it is a fuel source for the algae.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have yet to find any animal that will effectively cure a hair algae problem. Your best defense is manual removal and diligent maintenance. Test PO4 in the tank and source water. NO3 is also an issue. ANY reading, while it may not be harmful to corals, will serve as a nutrient source for algae.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrates is also a fuel source for clams and coral and it's only 5ppm. It's amazing to see tanks with nitrates that low. All tanks should have low nitrates like that.

Something that does help on the nutrient end is to put macroalgae in the tank. They dominate hair algae over nutrients, thus lessening exploitable food sources available for hair algae. Perhaps another clam too. It gives an excuse to buy another...LOL...

Nov/2004

Tags
hair

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com