Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Low Kh and Calcium?

My 4 month old reef tank is doing great. All animals seem to be thriving. Most corals seem happy. My new elegance coral seems to close up frequently though. I have been having trouble with my Reef Octopus 150 Calcium Reactor. My calcium levels have been low for the past 3 weeks (like 200-250 low). I'll start dosing calcium supplement until I can get the reactor figured out. However, my Kh is always low, like 4-6. Dose with Reef Builder carbonate alkalinity raiser twice a week and can't get it above 6 to save my life. The elegance coral is only a week old in my tank but it has never been fully open after the first two days of being in there. Any suggestions? What's a good Calcium supplement? What's a good way to raise the Kh and keep it there? I do water changes about every 2 weeks, 20% (30 gallons). I use only RO/DI H2O. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I would definitely question the accuracy of your calcium test kit. It's almost impossible to have a calcium reading that low. A good calcium supplement is Kent's Turbo Calcium.

How much Reef Builder are you dosing and how big is your tank? According to the directions on Seachems site, it takes 3 grams (1/2 teaspoon) to raise the alkalinity 0.7 dKH for every 40 gals of water. A cheaper alk supplement is plain old Arm&Hammer baking soda.

Have you ever tested your magnesium levels? What is your pH?

Here are a few good article that I highly suggest you take the time to read through.
Chemistry and the Aquarium
A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:25 AM   #3

Excellent articles. Thanks! I think that will help my situation greatly. Wish this [moderator edit] calcium reactor would work right though. Already ordered new test kits and will try the new dosing regimen in the article. Seems fail-proof. Although I bet I can give it a good run for its money! LOL
Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What salt are you using?
You might want to look a switching salts.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #5

I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. How do you dose your alk/calcium? Dosing pumps? Drip containers? Syringe? What's the best way?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
What brand test kits are you using?

If you are using Reef Crystals, you calcium test kit is definitely wrong. RC usually mixes to about 490 ppm calcium. I would also question your alk test kit as well since RC usually mixes to around 13 dKH (4.6 meq/l), unless of course you are already reading your alk test in meq/l.

You can use dosing pumps, but I just add the amount I need in a measuring cup and pour it in the tank in a high flow area.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #7

So got salifert test kits now. Ca is 320. dKh 9. So u guys were right, my test kits were bogus. Been supplementing with seachem calcium until I get my ca reactor figured out. Thanks everyone! Mt elegance coral has bit the dust I think though. It looks bloated and stays mostly closed and is sloughing off "stuff". Any hope for it?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
elegance usually don't do well in captivity, unless you get a specimen from aussie. you probably had one from indo, and it may very well be nothing that you had done/didn't do.

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com