Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to PBirdsong
Low Maint. Saltwater?

Question:
Can I have a low maint. (relatively speaking of course) saltwater aquarium? And can it be 125gal?

It's been a long time since I was last on here. Been busy. But recently my brother and I bought a house together, and I finally have room for a 125 gal aquarium. What I've always wanted! Anyways, how can I make a saltwater aquarium low maint?

Less cleaning . . . mainly.

By the way, this will be my first saltwater . . . assuming I do this. Nothing bought or setup yet. Just exploring possibilities.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to getting started. There are two ways to think about Maint on a 125 gallon tank. I have one if you want to view my tank in the sig. But you can either work on your tank 15-20 mins a day or you can work on it one time a few hrs a week. I prefer doing the everyday maint 15-20 mins a day instead of hrs on one day of the week. IMO you are in more control by doing it every day. If you are looking to not to be able to do any work on it then you`ll need to get a marine tank screensaver. A real SW tank will mean some work. Just how you want to do it is up to you.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How low of maint, are you looking for? You will still have to clean the glass, the skimmer, the pumps (eventually) you will still have to do regular water changes. You will eventually have to clean out your plumbing. What kind of cleaning are you wanting to limit.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:50 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Just to echo what the other guys have said...it depends on your definition of low maintenence. Depends on what you stock it with as well. The main factor is money. A 125 gallon is going to be quite a lot of money to set up, but it you have it, then that's not a worry.

Welcome back, btw!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

SW can be just as "easy" as FW if set up right IMO...all I do is clean glass and empty my collection cup.

Unless you consider feeding maintenance :P

Better question, what is your goal for the tank...and do you have a budget

Money can be a large factor as DT said.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:05 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Marc...SW can be as easy as FW...the main difference is the MONEY. I took my time and did a lot of research and got good equipment and set things up based on others designes that have given good results. Because of this I have a tank that doesn't worry me to death, but I still do something to it every day. Like Melosu said you can spend a few hours once a week or a few minutes every day. I think the reason most of us get into this hobby (SW) and then into Reefing is because we like the hands-on-everyday part of it. It is one thing to have a SW tank and another to "work" or grow a SW tank. Like Marc said you need to figure out what goals you have for this tank and work from there!

We'll be here to help out either way!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lots of LR, good water flow/turnover, low bio-load(very important), clean source water(no PO4, NO3, etc. -usually takes an RO/DI unit), and a great skimmer. If you talking FOWLR, you'd basically just have to clean the glass and empty the skimmer a couple times a week and do PWC's a couple times a month- maybe less. As the other said, it's never totally hands off. For example you need to clean all your equipment peridically. Basically there is monthly, weekly, and possibly daily maintance regardless. More delicate/demanding animals, such as coral, will need devotion and TLC. Good luck
Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I agree with all but MT79 hit it on the head with a low bio-load. The larger the bio-load for any tank size is going to increase overall maintenance with feeding/cleaning. With a 125 gal tank you could have 5 colorful 2-3" fish and have very little work to do weekly.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Just an idea, the 125 and 150 generally have the same footprint. If I had known when I bought my 125 and stand, I would have gone with the 150...sigh...all of the above is great advice! I would also mention you can mix Base Rock with LR to save quite a bit of money.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to PBirdsong
Wow. Great stuff, Guys. Sorry it took so long to get back. I know there will always be a bit of hands on work. And that's fine with me. But some aquariums have more than others. I learned that with my FW experience. I know one factor can be simply the tank size.
My dream has always been the 125gal. I guess, my delima is trying to decide if I should stick to FW or make the plunge ino SW.
I know next to nothing about SW . . . well . . . not true; I've heard there's salt in the water . . .
Anyways . . . let's talk about what kind of a tank I would be doing. With FW water I tend to have higher maintanence with high WPG. So can I get away with using stock lights?
Also what kind of filter? Canister, power . . .

And by the way . . . how does one do a water change with SW anyways? I don't have saltwater on tap . . . especially in Colorado.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com