Low ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rscomia

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 saltwater tanks one has been up about 4-5 months the other has been cycling for almost 4 weeks both show 7.9 on the ph Do I need to work on getting this up to 8.2-8.3 and what can I do to do this?

What am I looking for in a buffer and are they safe to add with fish in there? Ive heard not to use ph up or down?

I actually have my return a wave maker and a powerhead on the surface of the new 90 gallon and a wavemaker on the surface of the 55 I would like to stay away from a buffer if I can but if that is my onl option I will have to use it. Is using ro water causing it to be low???

Don't try the buffer just yet, they're only temporary and it's better for you to have a pH that's stable.

Added a cycling tank's pH will be crazy, wait until it's done cycling and see where you are.

You can always put a few tbl spoons of kawlkwasser in your top off water will help too but have to be carefull with that but it will work kalwsser has a ph of about 13...you just drip it in the tank it will bring it up

I'm not too sure that 7.9 is a bad thing, like I said having it stable is better than adding things to try to raise it.

If they tanks are closed top that could be contributing, poor gas exchange lowers pH. That's why the powerhead aiming was suggested.

The one that is cycling you dont need to worry about. The ammonia and nitrates will give a distorted PH. The other tank let me know what the PH is about an hour before the lights go out. That will be your true reading of PH.

just took the ph reading on my 55 it is still at a 7.9 Ive had the lids off this one for the last 2 days My fish act fine in this tank and the only corals i have is some green star polyps and some sea mat polyps I guess my main cocern is in I read for coral to thrive I need around 8.2-8.3 ph I am cycling the new one for hard coral and I want them to remain healthy

Back
Top Bottom