Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Low pH?

After testing my pH for the past 3 weeks (during cycle, no fish yet), although remaining totally stable (no colour difference at all in the test), my pH is just at 8.0, and ideally I want to raise it to 8.2.

I've just added some buffer over the last day or two, and carbonate hardness is now at the range I want, 9 - 10dKH.

So, how do I increase my pH by 0.2?

Cheers!

Mark

Old 04-08-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't worry about the pH during the cycle as there is all kinds of "stuff" going on when a tank is in that phase.

FYI, depending on when you measure your pH it will typically vary. For example, in the morning before my lights come on, my pH is around ~7.9. When I measure the pH before the lights turn off, it has risen to 8.3-8.4.

Old 04-08-2004, 04:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 0.5 increase in one day is a lot though??
Old 04-08-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Would u expect pH to naturally rise after Nitrites have got to 0 and everything has settled down and my first fish are in?

If so, I don't want it to be rising when fish are in do I?

I thought the buffer would increase pH too, but it doesn't seem to have.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always test the pH at the same sort of time, when they lights have been on for about 6 hours (in the evening), so it could be quite a bit lower if I tested it in the morning couldn't it??

So, I guess I need to raise it. Thinking of using Proper pH8.2. Anyone had any experiences with it? I added some Kent buffer yesterday and the day before too, to get alkalinity to 10dKH.

I'm adding my first 2 fish in a week, if all goes to plan, so want to get pH sorted ASAP really. Is Proper pH a good product?
Old 04-09-2004, 12:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
If your tank has finished cycling, have you done any water changes. A water change will help remove some of the acids left over from the cycle that are driving the pH down. A water change will also add properly balanced, buffered water at the proper pH. Most tanks have a pH swing of 7.9-8.3 througout the lighting cycle. I wouldn't add too much of any buffers or alk supplements as that is a bad habit to get into and can hurt you down the road. Try some weekly water changes until you're ready to get your fish and see where you are at that point.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

What do the buffers do for the tank? I'm a little confused about it.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How much chemistry do you know? Do you want the laymen's description or the chemical description. In laymen's terms a buffer helps stabilize the pH of a solution. In chemical terms a buffer can accept or donate hydrogen protons or hydroxide ions as needed to maintain a pH. pH being the inverse log of the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution. In other words if your tank is properly buffered you should have a relativly stable pH. And since one of the main buffering components of seawater is carbonate and carbonate is taken up by stony corals, clams snails and a host of marine invertebrates, maintaining proper carbonate alkalinity is even more important in reef tanks.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wasn't intending doing a waterchange until one week after adding my first fish, I was advised not to do - would you recommend doing so before I put my fish in? If so, how soon before?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A water change never does any harm. If your tank has no ammonia and nitrites then I would do a 20% water change. It will help remove any nitrates and other waste products that have built up as a result of the cycling process. If the tank's water chemistry is ever out of whack or you suspect something is amiss, the first remedy should always be a water change. I change about 15% of my tank volume weekly.

Tags
low ph

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com