low PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi~
I have had my tank running for a little over a week now and the PH keeps dropping(its now between 7.8 and 8.It started out at 8.8.) .I read that if it drops to low that the cycle will be stopped.Is this true? If so, how do I get the ph level back up?I planned on the process being slow but I also don't want the cycle to be stopped and started like putting your foot on the gas and break at the same time.I read that baking soda will bring up the ph is this true?I also read that if you are using ammonium chloride to start the cycle that it will lower the ph. If that is true I should have heeded the advice of those suggesting the shrimp.I didn't want to use this method because 1 I live out in the middle of nowhere and don't have access to uncooked shrimp and 2 I live in a small apt and was afraid of the smell.That being said it may be worth finding uncooked shrimp.Any suggestions on getting my PH back up would be appreciated!Thank you!

Your levels are good it won't stop unless its 6.5 or below it probably won't drop that low just keep watch on it

Don't mess with ph unless it gets below 7 you can use ammonia that is pure no dyes or additives to cycle with or use fish flakes or food of some source

Your levels are good it won't stop unless its 6.5 or below it probably won't drop that low just keep watch on it

If this is a salt tank, which I assume it is as it was posted in the salt section the pH will never be that low. 7.8-8.0 isn't really that bad. What time of the day are you usually testing it? Mine stays around 8.2 during the day and 8.0 at night.

If you're using quality salt mix you shouldn't have this problem at all. What kind of substrate do you have?
I am using fiji Pink CaribSea Arag-Alive sand and Instant Ocean salt mix but...I started with a salt mix I had with my last go at saltwater fish. about a little over a year ago and I can't tell you what salt mix it was:banghead:
I test in the morning but today i tested this morning and my nitrites were 0 and my Ammonia was between 0-.25.I tested again tonight just because and tested only Ammonia and it registered at 1ppm. I knew it was going to be slow but ...I thought I would have ironed out most of the kinks by now...

I am using fiji Pink CaribSea Arag-Alive sand and Instant Ocean salt mix but...I started with a salt mix I had with my last go at saltwater fish. about a little over a year ago and I can't tell you what salt mix it was:banghead: I test in the morning but today i tested this morning and my nitrites were 0 and my Ammonia was between 0-.25.I tested again tonight just because and tested only Ammonia and it registered at 1ppm. I knew it was going to be slow but ...I thought I would have ironed out most of the kinks by now...
Interesting... At this point the aragonite should be dissolving into the water the raise the ph. It begins somewhere around 7.5 I believe. And those are normal cycling levels, btw. Patience is key!

If you are cycling the tank do not worry about the PH. All you have to worry about is the Ammonia, Nitrites and nitrates. After the cycle is over you can worry about the other parameters. Ammonia will skew those other results.

Thanks everyone!I am staying steady at 8.0(PH) and not adding anything to raise the PH. I have slowly been adding salt to raise salinity though and I am just under 1.024 which is the recommended salinity for Instant Ocean Sea Salt.I tested the Ammonia(1ppm),Ph(8.0) and Nitrite (0)(I tested after raising the salinity.)I don't plan to add the Ammonium Chloride for a few days.See what happens.i may increase the dosage until it reaches 2ppm. Thanks again everyone for your advice.More to come.:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom