low ph and nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dizzyliz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Checking paramaters t'day.......

nitrite 0
ammonia 0
nitrate 10
ph 7.9
ca 425
Spacificy gravity 1.02

I have a 55gal, 80lbs of live rock, bout 5 lbs live rubble in the sump getting some more this weekend, have been slowly removing my bioballs...have about 25% left. Running a protien skimmer, and have a DSB. Wondering why my nitrates haven't dropped, been hovering at 10 ppm even before I started removing the bio balls. USe ro/di for topoffs, and instant oceans for water changes. Also my ph is a little the low side. What would be the best way to bring it up?? Thought the DSB acted as a ph buffer.

Tank has been running for 8 months, hoping to get everything just right so i can get some corals.

Thanks
Liz

DSB is a denitrafier. If you used aragonite based sand, it will help buffer some.

I see no alkalinity listed...test that, as alk and pH are directly related to each other.

Also, salinity: 1.02....what? 1.020? 1.029? need to know that last digit.

everything you have listed sounds ok, aside from needing alkalinity.

you could start with some corals now...though you'd want soft, hardy mushrooms until that nitrate drops. are you getting much skimmate? how often are your water changes?

I'd put some Chaeto in your sump...that stuff sucks up nitrates and phosphates like a sponge, and doesn't go toxic like caulupra.

It is argonite sand. I dont have a test kit for alk will look at getting one, and will have to learn how the 2 r tied together. Sry the salilty is 1.022. I get very little skimmate maybe one or 2 ounces a week. I do a 20% change every 4-5 weeks.

"I'd put some Chaeto in your sump...that stuff sucks up nitrates and phosphates like a sponge, and doesn't go toxic like caulupra. "

What's Chaeto? Wasn't that a '70s Charles Bronson movie? :)

Seriously, it sounds like it might be good to get.

Mike

Chaetomorpha is a green macro algae, goes by the common name spaghetti algae. I wouldn't advise adding this to your main tank but it is a great addition to a refugium or as Malkore suggested the sump if room's available. Nutrient control via macro algaes is only effective if the algae is harvested and tossed on a regular basis though.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom