Low pH, high alkalinity.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammo2001

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. I'm hoping somebody can help me with my pH problems. The pH in my FOWLR tank has been floating between 7.83 and 8.13 over the last 7 days with my daily 6pm readings are roughly 8.00 +/-0.04. I want to add some corals to the tank but with the ph fluctuating so much I don't think it's a wise idea just yet. Below is the 7day log from my controller with a bit of a just today as I added some buffer but remember the range of this graph is only 7.83-8.13.

image-3056681560.jpg

I did full water tests yesterday and the results were:
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
pH - 7.90
Phosphate - 0ppm
KH - 286.4ppm
Calcium - 440ppm
Temperature - 28.6C
Salinity - 1.023SG

I am also dosing Kalkwasser at a rate of 2 tsp/gal of water in my ATO.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I REALLY want to get some corals. Oh and I have recently had my pH probe professionally calibrated so I know it's not the probe which is the problem.

Hi everyone. I'm hoping somebody can help me with my pH problems. The pH in my FOWLR tank has been floating between 7.83 and 8.13 over the last 7 days with my daily 6pm readings are roughly 8.00 +/-0.04. I want to add some corals to the tank but with the ph fluctuating so much I don't think it's a wise idea just yet. Below is the 7day log from my controller with a bit of a just today as I added some buffer but remember the range of this graph is only 7.83-8.13.

I did full water tests yesterday and the results were:
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
pH - 7.90
Phosphate - 0ppm
KH - 286.4ppm
Calcium - 440ppm
Temperature - 28.6C
Salinity - 1.023SG

I am also dosing Kalkwasser at a rate of 2 tsp/gal of water in my ATO.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I REALLY want to get some corals. Oh and I have recently had my pH probe professionally calibrated so I know it's not the probe which is the problem.

My ph is consistantly 7.8-8.0 its fine ph naturaly drops at night

I realise PH goes down over night but the peak pH isn't even close to where I want it. I want it siting around 8.2. Do you have corals? I did think maybe I'm just being too fussy about the pH and that it could be okay to get some corals.

I realise PH goes down over night but the peak pH isn't even close to where I want it. I want it siting around 8.2. Do you have corals? I did think maybe I'm just being too fussy about the pH and that it could be okay to get some corals.

Ya ph never makes it over 8.0 on this tank ive calibrated my probe every couple months always the same consistant params are key

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121228_005646.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121228_005646.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 84

If ph is consistant imo your fine corals respond to alk fluctuations way worse than ph

Looking at the rest of my params does anything stand out to you or do you think I should be all good as long as things are stable?

Looking at the rest of my params does anything stand out to you or do you think I should be all good as long as things are stable?

Id slow the kalk down a bit looks like your alk is 289 ppm which is high i keep mine around 200 ppm which is between 11-12 dkh 12 dkh is about as high as you wanna go everything else looks good

Id slow the kalk down a bit looks like your alk is 289 ppm which is high i keep mine around 200 ppm which is between 11-12 dkh 12 dkh is about as high as you wanna go everything else looks good

8-12 dkh is reccommended i like mine high

I think your good your ph is fine btw.

One thing that stand out is that your dosing kalk? With no coral in the tank draining calcium and alk kalk will raise your levels and fluctuate your ph some. No need to be using it at this point.

Also try giving your tank some fresh air. Excess co2 buildup in the home is number one reason for depressed pH.

I think your good your ph is fine btw.

One thing that stand out is that your dosing kalk? With no coral in the tank draining calcium and alk kalk will raise your levels and fluctuate your ph some. No need to be using it at this point.

Also try giving your tank some fresh air. Excess co2 buildup in the home is number one reason for depressed pH.

I second that co2 will drop the ph maybe add some surface aggitation

Thanks heaps for that. I do have plenty of surface aggregation but I have also been aerating the tank for the last few days with no increase in pH so I guess that means the tank is getting enough gas exchange? Once the ATO reservoir runs out ill just top it up with fresh water then and see how that goes. Should I only be using Kalk once I have coral to keep the Ca and Alk in check?

Oh and I don't have a protein skimmer but I do use a surface skimmer with my Fluval 206 filter. I will get a protein skimmer for my new larger tank.

Thanks heaps for that. I do have plenty of surface aggregation but I have also been aerating the tank for the last few days with no increase in pH so I guess that means the tank is getting enough gas exchange? Once the ATO reservoir runs out ill just top it up with fresh water then and see how that goes. Should I only be using Kalk once I have coral to keep the Ca and Alk in check?

Surface agitation isnt going to do much if your house is filled with excess co2. In the winter co2 buildup in the home becomes even worse.

Take a cup of tank water and let it sit outside for 45 min or so then test the ph. You should see a change.

I dont see why you would need kalk without coral theres really nothin using up alk and cal at this point may not need it at all depending on coral your gonna be keep simple 2 part here and there may be enough or even a quality saltmix will replace whats being used

Back
Top Bottom